Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:23 PM

Default RNG

I'm very curious about the RNG, specifically on Party Poker.
I understand basically how the RNG works, but I'm wondering how my actions during a hand actually affect it.
Here is an example that I was wondering about.
I had Q8s in middle to late position and I was thinking about limping in, but decided to fold. Of course the flop comes QQ8 giving me the nuts and there was plenty of action on the flop. My question is whether my actions and the difference it time that either calling or folding would have taken would have changed the subsequent cards that came out on the board. So if I actually decided to limp with this hand thereby changing the time in which the round of betting took, could I very well have completely missed the flop. I figure this would be the case if the deck is always being shuffled and only decides which card is going to come out when it is time to peel it off.
Would this be the case?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: RNG

No, at Party the deck is pre-shuffled. You would have hit the flop for a boat.

At UB, the cards come as needed. No way to ever know what the flop would have been. If you want to entertain yourself, try and hit the action buttons at just the right time and when you flop a monster you can feel like a god. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

All of the above is only to the best of my knowledge.

Nigel

Nigel
Old 07-18-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very curious about the RNG, specifically on Party Poker.
I understand basically how the RNG works, but I'm wondering how my actions during a hand actually affect it.
Here is an example that I was wondering about.
I had Q8s in middle to late position and I was thinking about limping in, but decided to fold. Of course the flop comes QQ8 giving me the nuts and there was plenty of action on the flop. My question is whether my actions and the difference it time that either calling or folding would have taken would have changed the subsequent cards that came out on the board. So if I actually decided to limp with this hand thereby changing the time in which the round of betting took, could I very well have completely missed the flop. I figure this would be the case if the deck is always being shuffled and only decides which card is going to come out when it is time to peel it off.
Would this be the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why you should never fold preflop. Holdem is a game of 7 cards, not 2.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:33 AM

Even if it did affect what cards come out on the flop (it doesn't), it still wouldn't matter. Over the long run an even distribution of flops would come.

Focus more on why you make decisions over the long run, and less on the outcome of any particular hand. Read the Gambling Concepts chapter of SSHE, particulary the section on Random and Independent Events.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about this.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's true. But the shuffling is based on actions from the previous hand. Someone in here wrote a post about it a while back.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 AM

Someone sent an e-mail to party customer service on this subject. He offered a hypothetical situation where he would go back in time and hit call at a different time when he did the first time. He asked if the flop would be different. Party's CS's response started with, "Let me remind you that you cannot go back in time"
Old 07-18-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Party's CS's response started with, "Let me remind you that you cannot go back in time"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... these guys have no sense of humor at all
Old 07-18-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's true. But the shuffling is based on actions from the previous hand. Someone in here wrote a post about it a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is NOT true.

on party's website they specifically state that they generate the cards using REALTIME entropy, from thermal noise, etc, which includes, among othere things, various players mouse movement, etc..

not that it should matter, as discussed earlier. you should, as stated, make your correct decisions seperate from what the rabbit-hunted flop shows.

but, the op's original premise is correct, his actions would have changed the entropy.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:33 AM

I never questioned whether my decision in my example was correct.
The players that followed me in the hand were aggresive and I felt there was a good chance some one would raise, which they did.
I always wondered how my actions affect the RNG just out of curiosity. Just because I had this thought does not mean I am not focusing on my play.