Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Most sngs played in a month???

[ QUOTE ]
anyone wanna explain what a partner does thats diff than an account? i know nothing about accounting or being a cpa. any good internet links? raptor like money. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

A partner is a part owner of an acctng firm. The standard route for a partner is start with an accntg firm and work ur way up to partner over 7-15 yrs. You essentially get selected as a partner by the existing partners in the firm and you get to pay a nice capital call to "buy-in" to the partnership. There are many other routes for CPAs to take other than being a partner which generate > $100K before ur 30.

In anycase, if you want to make a ton of $$, don't mind working long hrs for a few yrs and are smart, look into investment banking. You'll need a 4 yr degree and a high-powered masters, but you'll clear $1M w/in 5 yrs if you're good.

BTW, Raptor, u don't wanna be a CPA even for > $100K (I don't know u, but feel safe saying this anyway).
Old 08-11-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In anycase, if you want to make a ton of $$, don't mind working long hrs for a few yrs and are smart, look into investment banking. You'll need a 4 yr degree and a high-powered masters, but you'll clear $1M w/in 5 yrs if you're good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Investment Banking.. uhhh. How would you clear $1M in 5 years $200K x 5? Investment Banking is raising capital for businesses, and looking for possible acq/mergers. Right
Old 08-11-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Investment Banking.. uhhh. How would you clear $1M in 5 years $200K x 5? Investment Banking is raising capital for businesses, and looking for possible acq/mergers. Right

[/ QUOTE ]

Like anything, its the best who make the most, but if u get on with a top tier firm and excel, my understanding is that you can make > $1M/yr after 5 yrs. I don't have first hand knowledge, but have been around the game with M&A and IPO activity from the Accounting side. Your basic summary of the type of work is correct.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like anything, its the best who make the most, but if u get on with a top tier firm and excel, my understanding is that you can make > $1M/yr after 5 yrs. I don't have first hand knowledge, but have been around the game with M&A and IPO activity from the Accounting side. Your basic summary of the type of work is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm will look into this I'm currently going to school right now and I know I want to do something with Business.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm will look into this I'm currently going to school right now and I know I want to do something with Business.

[/ QUOTE ]

If finance truly interests you, go for it. If it doesn't, find something else to do with your life. The money is crazy but the bulk of the industry is made up of arrogant f*cks, the hours are long, you have to wear suits every day, the work can get pretty tedious, and its one of the more shallow career options out there. If you're an intelligent, driven person you're going to make decent coin no matter what path you choose, so pick something you enjoy.

That's coming from someone that doesn't even mind his job all that much (buy side equity research, math econ background). I just see so many intelligent guys that enter the industry and get trapped by the money/success, failing to realize that they'd probably be equally "successful" in whatever they chose to do.

BTW Hornacek is right. I-banking is sick sick coin ($1m is def possible 5 years in) but it sucks the soul right out of you.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW Hornacek is right. I-banking is sick sick coin ($1m is def possible 5 years in) but it sucks the soul right out of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of college, you are more looking at a/b 100k a year for the first two years (working 100+ hours a week). After that, they pretty much force you to go get a MBA.

After the MBA it gets interesting $ wise. Same hours, but you can shoot for a 500k bonus a within 2-3 years.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of college, you are more looking at a/b 100k a year for the first two years (working 100+ hours a week).

[/ QUOTE ]

That comes out to 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just enough time to go home, take a nap, and come back to work. Everyday.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See this is an industry I just don't get. If you're actually worth $1M/yr at 70 hours a week, why can't you work "half time" 35 hours for a measly $500K? There never seems to be any such option.

eastbay
Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 PM

Trading is the way to go... and much more similar to poker than I-Banking. Trust me, I'm in trading, work 8-6 PM, and my roommate and friends are in I-Banking, and may work something like 6 AM to midnight...
Old 08-11-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trading is the way to go... and much more similar to poker than I-Banking. Trust me, I'm in trading, work 8-6 PM, and my roommate and friends are in I-Banking, and may work something like 6 AM to midnight...

[/ QUOTE ]

6am to midnight isnt too far off from my old poker schedule.. just change the 6am to 6pm and the midnight to noon.. holla