Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Early in Step 4

Party Step 4 single-table tournament. 3rd or 4th hand. Blinds are 10/15. No reads yet.
I get A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP. It's folded to me, and I raise to 50. All fold to BB, who calls.
Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pot is 110. BB checks, and I bet 80. He calls.
Turn is 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pot is 270. I now have both straight and flush draws. BB checks, I bet 200, he calls.
River is 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks. Pot is 670, and we both have 670 left. Push or check?
Old 02-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Early in Step 4

Check. I probably check the turn, too.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:17 PM

Check behind on the turn. If you bet the turn, I'd prolly follow up and shove the river, but in a sng with such a flat payout, this is really not the kind of situation you want to find yourself in. I'd also probably just limp preflop.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:31 PM

Check the turn. you don't want to bet there if you would hate getting raised, which you would. I check the turn, river play is pretty elementary from there.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:28 AM

I limp preflop , bet something on the flop, and check the turn (its huge disaster if you get check raised).
Overall this isnt the kind of situation you want to be in while playing a tournament that pays the top 4 spots an even amount. I guess thats called flat payout?!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:13 PM

Yeah, I should have checked the turn. I usually play 6-max cash games, and didn't make the adjustment for a flat-payout tournament structure. Anyway, I checked the river, and BB turned over...Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Huh. IMO we both played it poorly.