Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Default How do I extract the maximum in this $2/$4 hand?

Villain was in virtually every hand and seemed to be somewhat aggressive. That’s all I know though, just arrived at the table.
Discuss.

7 Card Stud ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.38 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (3.69 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls

6th Street - (9.69 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (11.69 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___???

Total pot: (13.69 BB)
Old 10-13-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: How do I extract the maximum in this $2/$4 hand?

Call 7th and expect to lose. I think you are def. better here more then 1 time in 12.5 but raising is just spewing money. He played this hand just like a trap wit Aces hand in my opinion, even if he is laggy.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM

How to extract the maximum?

By folding 7th!

Although I'd still call and hope he doesn't have an ace.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Hell, I wasn’t thinking about raising the river. Sorry if the title was misleading.
I would like to hear your thoughts on 4th, 5th and 7th.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:03 PM

You're just barely getting odds to call 6th. I'd muck 7th for sure. No chance you're good here unless he is a maniac. Otherwise he has aces up (or Kings up) or possibly even started rolled. I don't call this river unless this person is playing quite erratically. His 5th street play screams rolled aces to me but I probably call the reraise also. I'm tempted to lay 6th but you're 4 outs are live (hopefully you aren't drawing dead). On the river, I call nothing unless my opponent is nuts. I fold despite getting big odds. Again, I think a 6th street fold could POSS be justified, not saying I would do it...but I might.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Jeff, I don't think he has to have rolled aces to three bet fifth. I do think he's likely to have aces up, though. If this guy is playing every hand, I think I have a snivelling, grovelling call on the river. You don't play much 2-4, do you? Sometimes they just decide you are weak (because they have seen you fold alot) or decide you are a bluffer (because they have seen you raise on early streets with big upcards that weren't paired).
Old 10-13-2005, 03:56 PM

He nearly HAS TO have aces up or better given this betting sequence. He 3-bet 5th before he had a pair on board. I think he was saying right there he can beat queens pretty clearly. I mean, even an idiot can put hero on two queens at least. He is saying he can beat them. The 6th cements aces up and you're clearly drawing. Then you missed on the river. I fold b/c I beat nothing, again w/ the provision that if this person is nuts (ie. raising and reraising on total air w/o regard to anything his opponent could have), by all means pay off. But I didn't get that impression from the OP, just that he is aggressive. I think you can save a river bet here...whether it's $4 or $150.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2005, 03:58 PM

No one thinks A45 is a likely possibility? For someone limping in every single hand, I'd believe he hit a wheel more than that he'll passively play split aces.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:10 PM

What does everyone think about the 4th street raise? Because I’d usually wait till 5th and probably 6th (because then I can fold once he hits that open pair). But against this guy, I thought I was way ahead most of the time, plus he was more likely to bet 5th even after I raise because he seemed aggro. Good?
Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 PM

I believe I make a great deal of money at 2-4 games as presently played by calling in situations where I "have to" be beat. There's no real way to analyze this, since basically some players are just morons. But it's important to realize when you opponent is one of these, because the meaning of his bets and raises is way different.

Usually, on fifth his bet says "I have the lead and am keeping it, I probably have aces but could have a pocket pair and am hoping you'll fold."

Roland's raise says "Even if you do have aces, I can beat them because I have two pair or better"

The reraise says "You have two pair? I crush your stinking two pair."

Against many Party 2-4 players, though, the dialogue is more like "I've been betting, I'll bet again."

Roland: "I have a real hand, buddy"

Other guy "You raise me? I raise you back. Maybe you're bluffing/no one pushes me around/I actually have a hand/let's gamble, I have an ace"