Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Your Welcome, from California

In what is becoming a tradition here in California, the legislature abdicated its responsibility and left the tough issues to the general public. To be fair, the legislature did make sure to take care of important issues like whether or not to ban fois gras.

Meanwhile, Joe California was sitting on the crapper and leafing the through the voter information guide that described measures relating to how gov't tax dollars are allocated, the three strikes law, pork for hospital construction, employee provided healthcare, funding to provide care for the mentall ill, and measures related to gambling.

Overall I thought the voters made wise decisions. Both the gambling measures were defeated and the 3 strikes law remained unchanged. All good things in my view.

I was however fairly suprised to see that voters voluntarily agreed to incur an additional $6B tax liability to support highly speculative stem cell research. We really do want to save the world out here. Although only a small portion of the benefit from this research will go to Californians, we have agreed to foot the bill for the benefit of mankind. You're welcome.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Your Welcome, from California

i am suprised no one talked about the 3 strikes law revision being voted down, i was very very unhappy with this.

rj
Old 11-03-2004, 09:01 PM

There was a serious flow with the initiative. Basically, if a criminal had been convicted of two violent felonies but his third conviction was for a non-violent offense, then he could be released from jail. That is not right and that's why I voted against. Drug offenses were also not included in the list of non-violent felonies that would not count towards the 3 strikes.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am suprised no one talked about the 3 strikes law revision being voted down, i was very very unhappy with this.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking as someone who just dealt with an attempted burglary (Thank you ADT) I say if the jackass has 2 prior felonies and hasn't learned his lesson, F'em.