Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 PM

Default AK on K66 flop against a flop 3-bet

Reads: Button is new to the table (only played one orbit). In that orbit he has done a lot of calling. So far he seems like a loose passive fish, but too early to tell for sure how aggressive he is.

SB is also new to the table but also seems to be fairly loose.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks ...

I raise the flop since I don't think a raise is going to scare away the button. He either hit something or he is going to fold it anyways, there are no draws on this board. Another line could be to just call the flop hoping to get a raise in on the turn, but I prefer the flop raise here.

Then the button 3-bets the flop, which for me screams a 6. Guess he could have a king, but I don't think he would 3-bet it, but it is a possibility. SB calls and I am not at all worried about his hand. He probably has 2 outs if he has a pair or he needs runner runner to beat me so I want him to stay in the pot. So here I just turn passive, I don't want to scare away SB if my hand is good and I think it's a fair chance that button has a 6 and I only have 2 outs. For me this is a clear example on when you are either far ahead or far behind.

What do you think about this? Good, terrible or somewhere in between? For me the only alternative line would be to cap the flop, lead the turn and call down if raised on the turn.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: AK on K66 flop against a flop 3-bet

cap flop or reraise turn, you have a great hand. I can't put him on a 6 just because he raises me on flop.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: AK on K66 flop against a flop 3-bet

Yeah you definitely cant put him on a 6 just because he 3bet the flop, anyone would do that with a king and many people will do it with a lower pocket pair.
Cap the flop and lead the turn