Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Made the move from .50/1 to 1/2 today

After 25k hands at the Hollywood .50/1 I finally decided that I had a big enough roll and enough experience to try the 1/2 game out. I started four tabling right away and I got in around 1,000 hands today and came up 55bb's. The things I didn't like about this game was that I had to keep switching tables due to the table basically going dry. So switching tables in search of action was pretty annoying. I didn't really get payed off as much as I usually do so I'm gonna probably have to plug some leaks which means more posting.

The tables were a little more challenging which made for fun play. I had to do a lot of blind defense playing marginal hands heads up against LAG's.
So hopefully I'll keep up my game and continue to beat the 1/2 game. For those of you that made the switch how did you feel about it and how much did your winrate change?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Made the move from .50/1 to 1/2 today

Unless you plan on staying ther for 200k hands or more, don't worry about your winrate too much. Worry about your play. It sounds like you had a pretty good day moving up and winning 55BBs. That's great. Don't get discouraged if things don't continue to go so well. You will be challenged, but it sounds like you're probably ready for the switch. Post lots and constantly examine your hands. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 AM

I also play 1/2 and its very important to pick tables with money in them and players to play and yeah its annoying when tables go dry , especially if ur down on that specific table
Old 10-04-2005, 08:40 AM

What's your standard for a dry table? Like < 20vpip and > 6 pfr? Seems as long as vpip/pfr > 4 the table is pretty good.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:44 AM

just play 6-max and the tight table issue will resolve itself [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 08:44 AM

I don't multi-table and it takes me 2 weeks to play 1000 hands but my first few weeks at 1/2 were rough. I started during bonus time which meant the tables were full of rocks and a few good players. It's much more noticable during bonus time at this limit and so hard to profit.

Now I spend more time on table selection. The average table is more challenging and therefore more interesting. My winrate has gone down at this limit, and while I'm sure that's true I think the numbers are more of a statistical thing than anything.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:20 AM

Good luck You'll find that 1/2 isn't that much different than .50/1 if you get correct table selection.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:39 AM

Well - I played 10,000 hand at .5/1 and I was a little over the norm in win rate 7.55BB/100 so I'm not sure I count LOL.

The difference between .5/1 and 1/2 is a big jump in talent. You'll find that 2/4 is a slightly looser game then 1/2.

One thing I REALLY hated about PokerRoom skins is that it's full of butterflies. Butterflies are players that keep jumping tables so you can never have a good table going for more then 15 minutes.

My win rate dropped 5BB/100 but - it had room to fall. If you can be 2BB/100 or above over a LOT of hands your doing great. I think 2BB/100 is in the upper range of all poker players.

Get out of 1/2 and move to 2/4 as soon as your bank can handle it. 3/6 is the next big jump in talent.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM

I barely have the 300bb to play at 2/4, are you saying that its not that much different then 1/2? If so i'll take some shots at it when all the 1/2 tables are dry.

Does the average pot keep getting smaller as the stakes rise? At .50/1 I would usually look for something with an average pot size of at least 8bb but at 1/2 the biggest tables were 6-7bb which stunk.