Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2004, 10:04 PM

Default river raise with Q high.

hi everyone

this comes from a hand i played in a good 20-40. the CO bluffs a lot, and also doesn't fold. he will showdown anything. and this hand is showndown.

the MP, a good solid player, bets out. the CO who likes to limp a lot but then becomes aggressive post flop, and who also bluffs a lot, calls, and i call with QJs on the button. both blinds call, and it's 5-way.

the flop comes A, K, X rainbow one of suit. the MP bets, the CO calls, and i call. both blinds fold. the blinds were doing that a lot. it was a fairly safe assumption that the blinds would no wise raise. there was a possibility of a call by one or the other, and that's actually what i was expecting; instead both fold. so it's the 3 of us.

the turn produces an A. so it's AKXA; i check it down. the only card that can help me now is a T.

the river puts 2 pair on board, and it's AKXAK. the X is something like a 3. a low card. the MP checks. as expected, the CO bets, and i raise. the MP folds and the CO calls. my raise was a bluff raise. in retrospect however, it may not have been a bluff raise. that's why i'm posting this one. due to the action; how the hand developed; while i don't consider the river raise so surely a bluff as i did at the time that i made the raise, i don't consider it a value bet either. it was probably a pot odds type raise. i was hoping for the fold-outs, of course. does anyone here think that it may have been a total bluff given the action? how might have this hand been played differently? my image at the time was dangerously unpredictable.