Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Two Pair vs. Raise on the Turn

This is my first HH analysis post (so please correct my posting etiquette as needed). This was the beginning of the 2nd orbit so I have no reads and PT had no stats on any of the players. That said, this was a .25/.50 beginner table at Party (only 6 more days of eligibility there unfortunately, sigh!)

Villian is the SB. I give details of what I was thinking on each street:

Party Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> As I see Q2o and check as the BB I'm thinking: "Gosh, I hope Q2 DOESN'T come on the flop and I get forced to play this only to lose to a suckout." </font>

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

<font color="blue"> So...what comes on the flop...Q2. I bet for value AND information to see if anyone has a range of hands involving the K on the board. </font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue"> I got 3 callers and no raise on the flop after my bet, so I'm feeling pretty confident of best hand. SB checks, I bet, it goes around and SB re-raises. Where did that come from? I'm thinking in the range of KK or trips or a strong flush draw. I 3-bet to protect, he caps but I'm calling this down all the way (Thank you Ed Miller!) </font>

River: (17.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue"> Third spade falls and I'm crying (and calling) thinking one of them got the flush. </font>

Final Pot: 20.50 BB

See results below in white:

<font color="white"> Hero wins with two pair, queens and twos. SB shows Kc Jd, a pair of kings.
Phew, did I play this correctly or did I slow down unnecessarily? I'm definitely not complaining - I just want to see if I missed something.</font>

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Two Pair vs. Raise on the Turn

Seems okay to me.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:29 PM

I would've played it the same. Just make a note that SB can be very agressive with TPGK. Why not wait until you have reads before you start playing? You can import observed hands, which I think is a big advantage to playing at Party. If I saw that this fellow had an agression factor greater than 2 or so, I'd probably throw in one more raise on the river.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:30 PM

Nice hand -- I think you played it just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
As I see Q2o and check as the BB I'm thinking: "Gosh, I hope Q2 DOESN'T come on the flop and I get forced to play this only to lose to a suckout."

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Don't think like this! That was a fantastic flop for your hand. In general, when you flop two pair, you're going to win a good percentage of the time -- don't worry so much about the occasional suckouts.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:30 PM

I dont like 3-betting this turn(EDIT: AGAINST UNKNOWNS). There's a lot of hands that beat you, I'd just call down. Everything else seems fine.

And don't post your results. It skews the responses you get from others.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:31 PM

Looks fine.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:32 PM

Thanks much...I'm new to party and PT and didn't know you could import observed hands. Great advice!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like 3-betting this turn(EDIT: AGAINST UNKNOWNS). There's a lot of hands that beat you, I'd just call down. Everything else seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which hands beat you that you're worried about? Don't you want to see the other two fold?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:34 PM

Thanks for your points on the 3-bet vs. unknown. Instead of giving the results is it better to post them after several replies or never? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand -- I think you played it just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
As I see Q2o and check as the BB I'm thinking: "Gosh, I hope Q2 DOESN'T come on the flop and I get forced to play this only to lose to a suckout."

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Don't think like this! That was a fantastic flop for your hand. In general, when you flop two pair, you're going to win a good percentage of the time -- don't worry so much about the occasional suckouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Q2 is about the ONLY thing you want to see on the flop. Just a Q and your lowest possible kicker limits you terribly and any single 2 won't be worth playing. The only better flop for you would be 22x (where x=Q would be optimal, but let's not get too picky).