Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:44 PM

Default My poker Challenge

Ok so i've been here a while and learnt fair bit and am comfortable with .50/1 after moving to party. Although theres loads of varience.

I wondered if you guys could all advise me on this plan, Now ive been challenged to get to 2/4 by xmas.

That gives me about 2months to get there.

Currently i play .50/1 @ Party beginners. i've logged about 7k hands and my progress has been crazy. Graph Here

Ny plan is:<ul type="square"> [*]Read/ReRead/ReReRead SSH [*]Grind 10 - 15K At .50/1 this month (21 days to go) [*]Check PT Stats/Indentify leaks/Post this here get advice and move to 1/2 and be sweated for few sessions [*]Grind 10 - 20k @1/2 in November to start of decemeber [*]Make the move to 2/4 at of nov or middle december to log the 2000hands and grind away[/list]
So basically im posting this to ask if you think its possible? How hard will it be? Any advice on the differences or links to posts similar. Anyone tried this before?

I plan to do some dummy runs whilst i grind at .50/1 called 20BB challenges(move up to each stake after clearing the previous at 20BB .50/1&gt;1/2&gt;2/4&gt;3/6 and repeat weekly.

Advice? comments? Good lucks? ANything? cheers all.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: My poker Challenge

Who has challenged you to move up to 2/4 by Xmas ?

The decision of whether to move up a limit or not, is a personal choice for everyone. However, I would not like to feel under pressure to move up a limit by a certain time.

I prefer the idea of moving up a limit, when you feel comfortable to do so and when you have the bankroll to support playing at that limit.

I agree with re-reading and studying SSHE, until you feel that you know and understand that book backwards. I also agree with continuing to post and reply to hand posts on this forum.

I would also consider reading a new poker book to perhaps reinforce some of the SSHE concepts, such as HEFAP or Weighing the Odds.

I would also suggest trying out 6 max at .05/1 before moving up to 1/2, as this should almost definitely help to improve your play in short-handed pots.

Finally, I hope you have the time to play the number of hands that you are hoping to play, and GOOD LUCK! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Hi,
Thanks for replying.

Yeh i also plan to read HEFAP and maybe TOP. Ill purchase those later down the line.

My bankroll is currently around $1000 so its enough to move to 1/2, I just want to log 10K at .50/1 so i can fix some leaks.

I've played for a year by Xmas (Although admitedly i got bored of poker and took months and weeks off on end during this period). I started my blogger recently too:
http://thepokerjourney.blogspot.com/

Anyhow i can log 500hands a day easily(4x table, and i have many hours free due to only studying during the day and training).

2/4 would require $1200 which i hope to have by end of the month.

Just wondering who plays 2/4 and your experiences? 30BB challenges will help me whilst i grind at .50/1.

Thanks.
Anyone else/
Old 10-10-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeh i also plan to read HEFAP and maybe TOP. Ill purchase those later down the line.

[/ QUOTE ]
HEFAP is great reading, but IMO hasn't been terribly helpful for loose .5/1 games. By the time you start playing the tighter 1/2 games, it will definitely be of more use. I've read TOP, but I didn't find it all that terribly useful after having read SSHE and HEFAP (not saying it's not a good book, but I think the other books thoroughly cover the HE aspects of Poker)

Rereading something over and over isn't terribly useful. That sounds rushed to me, and hoping that the concepts with sink in through osmosis. Read slowly and carefully, and study! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

My bankroll is currently around $1000 so its enough to move to 1/2, I just want to log 10K at .50/1 so i can fix some leaks.

I've played for a year by Xmas (Although admitedly i got bored of poker and took months and weeks off on end during this period). I started my blogger recently too:
http://thepokerjourney.blogspot.com/

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a little confused here. You have a $1000, from playing .5/1 over 7000 hands? But you're making .3BB/100? Did you run extremely hot .25/.5 or lower? This isn't making sense to me. Maybe you just started at .5/1 with a very high bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]

Anyhow i can log 500hands a day easily(4x table, and i have many hours free due to only studying during the day and training).

Just wondering who plays 2/4 and your experiences? 30BB challenges will help me whilst i grind at .50/1.

Thanks.
Anyone else/

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't suggest moving up from .5/1 until you can sustain a 2BB/100 winrate for at least 10K hands. You have been barely beating .5/1, and it looks from your graph that you got run over by the deck during your upswing (it was very steep). Perhaps playing 4 tables is too many to playing at once and is affecting your winrate. Try dropping to 2 tables, and after you've been winning more consistently (which you should be doing at .5/1 beginner), add another table. I realize I've already stated a finite number of hands to be played before moving up, but don't make "getting in 500 hands a night" a goal. Make your goal "playing for as long as I feel comfortable and alert and not tilted every night" your goal.

Keep on posting hands here and learning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Going from breakeven play in .5/1 beginner to being a winning player at 2/4 in 20-30K hands is a lofty goal. Winning at 1/2, though, is very attainable, and you should also work on your shorthanded game while at 1/2. The 6max games will offer a lot to learn for you, and are a lot more exciting to play, which may keep you from wasting time with all those challenges (which I'm not a big fan of [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think having more than that would be a good idea. I would keep $1200 of my bankroll for 1/2 and then make an extra $3-400 and take a shot at 2/4. 2/4 is a different game than .5/1. You need to play 1/2 6max first, see how that goes then decide if you are ready for the jump. Remember losing 50BB in 2/4 is $200. Quite a bit different than $50.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I think you can do it. You have been posting a lot, so keep that up. Really understand everything in SSH before you read TOP or HEFAP. Take a shot or two until you feel ok with a 50BB swing here and there.

I really think beating 1/2 6max is key to beating 2/4.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:41 PM

Sorry to clear a few things up.

My bankroll is $1000, from bonuses and playing. 7K is only logged at partypoker in the past ten days or so. I've logged about 6k at pokerstars previously.

Reading SSH and re-reading is basically to go over every concept, Ive read it and dont fully understand somethings(Which ive noted down). I also hope PT will discover some leaks.

I'm on the party beginner tables(which makes me sound like a newbie, In actual fact these are just soft and full of 50%VPIP table averages for first 45days of my "Party experience".

The varience in these games is huge, I think this has affected the graph but ill see how it looks at the end of the month.

If i'm beating .50/1 @ 10 000 hands at 2BB/100 ill definatly be moving up.

Of course i'll abandone this challenge if i feel out of my depth or havent played enough .50/1 or 1/2.

Logging 500hands is just a target really, i break off early if im tilting but besides one episode i havent tilted in ages. Im very used to bad beats and just smile when i lose to be honest.

Reqtech - what stakes do you currently play?

Challenges are fun and allow you to dablle in stakes lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM

Reads, not just stats, will become more important as you move up, especially in 6 max. You may want to cut back tables when you move up until you get a grasp on the new level.

A poster here mentioned their strategy to moving up and I've kind of adopted. Win 3-500bb of your next level at your current level, then try the move. IE, you are playing .5/1, win 300-500bb for 1/2 while you are at .5/1. I stopped counting bonuses and the "other" as bankroll, and just look at money won.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:57 PM

This is the general thing i've done when playing 0.02/0.04&gt;.05/.10&gt;.25/.50&gt;.50/1

However its VERY LONG ROAD. 2BB/100 needing 300BB = 150 X 100 hands = 15K excluding downswings.

Bonuses count as my bankroll as they are used in my games, however i use win rate to determine if im good enough to move up. I will get to 1/2 by xmas minimum. 2/4 winning would be great.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Reqtech - what stakes do you currently play?

Challenges are fun and allow you to dablle in stakes lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! I didn't think of bonuses [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm currently playing 2/4 6max on Stars. Before the Party shakeup, I was also playing the 3/6 6max.

I'll also play a couple 10+1 SNGs when I feel like mixing it up if I'm having a downswing. If I had more time on my hands, I'd probably play a lot more SNGs, actually.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:13 PM

15k hands at each level is not much, especially once you get past .5/1. You can always take a shot early if you feel like. I took two short trips to 2/4 while mainly playing 1/2 and moved back each time. I finally made the decision to stay at 2/4 and it has paid off. My game has improved a lot since those first two shots. I will probably do the same for 3/6 in the next couple of weeks. Take your time, no need to rush. Move when you have the bb or move when you feel you are ready, you can always go back.