Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:39 AM

Default live play vs. online

Over the past couple of months I have played 6 live sessions and have won at all of them except 1 where I lost only 11BB...

However, playing online I am down a significant amount.

I was up online at one point but i've given it all back.

And I've lose some of my live winnings online too!

Am I a losing player over a large sample size or do I just play better live for unexplainable reaons? (online I l;ay 3 or 4 tables of 1/2 or 2/4, live IO play 5/10 or 10/20)

edit: is this a psychological problem for my losing online - a behavioural issue for online play vs. live play?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: live play vs. online

how long have u been playing online... 6 months also? if it is 6 months i would not worry about it to much. u need some more hands and time under ur belt. Do u have Poker Tracker (PT)?.. 6 sessions live it not much also. It is a nice run, but i would not compare ur online play with ur live play with only 6 sessions and a total of 6 months playing... remember it is all about the long run. Good Luck
Old 08-15-2005, 05:22 PM

I have a similar problem and have given it a lot of thought. (I'm a very consistent winner in B&M and just better than break even online.)

I have concluded the following: for some reason, I still think that most people online are not good players. Thus, (1) much too frequently I think that people are bluffing or overvaluing their hands and (2) I try too much "fancy" stuff online and try to "outplay" people in situations that are not appropriate.

I'm not sure why I think like this but I have recognized that I do and am working to correct it.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Welcome to my world. I average (conservatively) $50 per hour live, and am just breaking even (little less, about -$0.25 per hour) online. Live players just aren't as good.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:08 AM

online, you need to bluff a little less. Players call more, hoping to hit their miracle draws. Bet your good hands, a bluff just a little less than you would if you were playing live.

6 months and 6 sessions isn't nearly CLOSE to be able to accurately judge how well you are playing

get pokertracker Small Stakes hold'em by ed miller. and see us in 6months. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2005, 11:55 AM

consider the much larger number of hands that you see online and the fact that you are multi-tabling and try to understand that your mistakes, even tiny leaks get amplified many times over compared to B&M.

If you are losing online, STOP multi-tabling immediately. Play one table at a time until you become a winning player, then add another table. It takes a lot of experience to multi-table successfully.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:01 PM

They typical 3/6 game online is tougher than the typical 3/6 game live. It's true for every limit I've ever played.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:29 PM

I don't think it takes TOO much more exper to multitalbe cash games. I'm a weak tourny player, but my cash games are good. I only 2 table however. Winning at one table is harder, because you might have some downswings. I open 2 tables, so I can play many more hands, and get a better average win faster. am i nuts?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 PM

No, but you are not losing. If you are losing and decide to multi-table, you just lose faster.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 PM

significantly tougher.