Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Default 99 -- possible leak

MP1 is a LAG, CO is an unknown.

An important thing to note, though, is that when CO capped PF, he did so instantaneously after I 3-bet, as in he had the auto-raise-any button clicked, whatever that means.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (16.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.20 BB

Suggestions for other lines are welcome, for I believe this may be a leak in my game.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: 99 -- possible leak

I bet/fold the river.

Will
Old 11-23-2005, 10:42 PM

I think folding when he raises you again on the flop is an option. If this isn't an option in your opinion, then your line is optimal.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:44 PM

I think I would be content to just call this one down, you got it down to HU and that should be enough. If you reraise the flop and he decides to call you down with overs or AK/AQs nothing much will change except that you lose more when you are wrong. If he indeed has AK he will save a bet on the river if he decides to fold to your bet but you might induce him to bluff once more with it.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think folding when he raises you again on the flop is an option. If this isn't an option in your opinion, then your line is optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an unknown there is no way I fold an over pair on this flop. I like his line
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 PM

I think I bet the turn. I don't want him taking a free card with overs/flush draw. If raised, I still couldn't fold to an unknown. I'd check call the river.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet/fold the river.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? How often does he call with Ace high vs. how often does he run you off the best hand. I think check/call is best unless its against a total loose-passive.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:14 PM

Playing against an unknown who had the auto raise button on kind of worries me. Mainly the unknown part.

Your line works as its the easiest way to get to SD. Other optional lines might be a turn CR, or bet/fold the river. Both of those ones I'd consider using, but a read on the opponent would go a long ways. Assuming your opponent has half a clue, out of the 'standard' autoraising capping hands, I dont think you are beating anything besides AK and maybe AQs?

Therefore, atleast you didnt spew anymore bets. Folding on either the turn or river seems awfully weak.

Though, with the tone of the post, I am going to assume JJ+ dragged the pot.

Side note: curious to see how this thread goes, I've been having immense problems playing my 99
Old 11-23-2005, 11:21 PM

His range is AK-AQ, AA-TT. (i'm basing this on the auto-raise preflop.) If we check, he bets the hands that beat us, and checks behind with ace-high. That's not a fun bet to call.

If we bet the river...he'd be really something if he could find a raise with AK. He'll bluff-raise us close to never. But he'll almost certainly call with AK-AQ.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:47 AM

I don't think there's much you can do. Once CO caps, you'd like to be able to go back in time and fold instead of 3-betting, but that's not an option.

On the flop, you want to protect your overpair, in this four-handed pot, and the only way to do that is to bet and hope CO pops it with unimproved AK (or even AQ). So you bet and he raises, but once he raises the chances that he just has overcards just went down a bit.

Will's bet-fold river line is something to consider, but I'm not sure it makes a big difference. You're probably beat, and some players who auto-raise the flop will fire on the river with AK. I don't think you're guaranteed a call from ace-high, and if Villain is familiar with the check-call, check-call, bet line (and your approach to this hand is only a slight variation on this line), he may raise again with AK, so I don't think bet-folding the river is without risk. (I doubt you'll get raised by ace-high that often, but it'll be expensive when it does happen.)

Anyway, though, I think the biggest problem is that you got dealt 99 in a hand where someone else liked his cards enough to cap. You'd rather not play under those cirucumstances, but you can't know CO's plans in advance.