Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 AM

Default River value bet got raised, fold or call?

Probably shouldn't have bet this river. The last Ace fills nearly everything the guy could be drawing to (overcards/flush). Was the river a fold or call? I hate folding a pot this size for one bet.

Opponent is loose, but I haven't had enough to tell his aggressiveness.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero ???.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 10-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: River value bet got raised, fold or call?

This is a pretty small pot. I would fold if raised.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:49 AM

This is an easy fold imo.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:04 AM

What hands is he raising that you beat?

Don't worry about putting people on stone-cold bluffs until you have a read to do so. I don't remember who it was (Maxx?) but someone said they made a post-it for their monitor that said: "Nobody is taking shots at me." Good slogan to remember sometimes.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy fold imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2005, 10:49 AM

The river bet is terrible imo. When he calls the turn, I think he either has a king and doesn't want you to stop bluffing or has something like 88 and is in payoff mode. I'd probably check-fold the river unless I solidly put him on a hand like 88 AND think it's likely he will fold to the river bet (possible since there are now two overs to his pair onboard and u raised pre). The bet is getting 4-1 odds on the end. So are the chances he has something like 88 AND will fold it better than 4-1?

Jeff
Old 10-04-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The river bet is terrible imo. When he calls the turn, I think he either has a king and doesn't want you to stop bluffing or has something like 88 and is in payoff mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a terrible bet. I'd been getting called down a lot with crap (in general, not specifically by the villian) and was in value-bet mode. I didn't really come out of auto-pilot until the river raise, then realized my mistake.

I had him drawing to a flush or an ace. Yea, I know, why the hell did I bet then? Because I was on auto-pilot and dumped chips on this hand.

The question then was, at 8:1, do I call? Answer seems to be no, that's just compounding the error of betting out at all.

Just poor play on my part. I was on 80BB run that night and got sloppy.