Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
If he's definitley loose-passive, isn't that the kind of player you expect to call a big all-in raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good god, with AJo? I would say 99% hell no.

I think Justin was just wrong on the read of him being a total [censored] retard.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given my reads however (that were otherwise correct), I think this play has a significant positive chip equity.
Despite that, there is just too much risk of me going broke during this hand, and I should have given up this edge to avoid missing out on bigger edges later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last sentence is exactly what went through my head reading the post pre-results - unless a bigger stack can be utilized to steal/pick up future pots uncontested (which it sounds like it isn't)
Old 09-30-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Despite that, there is just too much risk of me going broke during this hand, and I should have given up this edge to avoid missing out on bigger edges later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just delete that last sentence and your analysis is dead-on.

When you find your big edges, don't you want to have a lot of chips in front of you? Do you notice Phil Ivey, Daniel Negreanu, Erick Lindgren, or Greg Raymer passing up significant edges very often? How well do those guys do in tournaments?

Matt
Old 09-30-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, sorry for all the anticipation.

The results I'm about to share absolutely flabbergasted me. SB instantly folded. MP1 thought for about 5-10 seconds and put his chips in w/ an expression on his face saying "I have to". MP3 asked for a count. I said I started the hand w/ 10,000 chips, but he wanted the dealer to count the chips anyway. The dealer counted out about 7800 in MP1's stack, and then MP3 mucked his cards before the dealer even counted my stack. IMHO, I don't think he ever was actually considering calling. I think he was just acting to make it look like he didn't ahve complete [censored].

Then MP1 did the unthinkable. He flipped over Ace-Jack not-suited. I lost leaving me crippled.

I played at the table for another 90 minutes, and even after all that time, my read on MP1 didn't change. He was definately loose passive, and almost definately an internet qualifier. I am still in disbelief as to how he of all people could put in his entire stack with AJo.

I know some people here are going to defend his call and say, "great read", but against my range of hands that I merely call the original 150 w/, AJo is even money (this range includes, any pair, any suited ace, AKo, AQo, suited connectors down to 54s, suited one gaps down to 64s, and a couple of unsuited broadway hands). If he's even money vs the range of hands I put in 150 chips with, his call for 8,000 more chips during 25/50 blinds is just abysmal.

My overall analysis of this play:
My read on how willing MP1 was to put his tournament life at stake was clearly off.
Given my reads however (that were otherwise correct), I think this play has a significant positive chip equity.
-Thanks for all the insight
-ZJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the very first CC, I'd play AJo the exact same way MP1 did. I don't think I'd have to think too long about calling your push with AJo either. Like yeah, it's "putting your tournament life on the line". Like the only hands he should be afraid of are AQ and JJ, but the pot was so bloated by then, I couldn't see him folding too quickly.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, sorry for all the anticipation.

The results I'm about to share absolutely flabbergasted me. SB instantly folded. MP1 thought for about 5-10 seconds and put his chips in w/ an expression on his face saying "I have to". MP3 asked for a count. I said I started the hand w/ 10,000 chips, but he wanted the dealer to count the chips anyway. The dealer counted out about 7800 in MP1's stack, and then MP3 mucked his cards before the dealer even counted my stack. IMHO, I don't think he ever was actually considering calling. I think he was just acting to make it look like he didn't ahve complete [censored].

Then MP1 did the unthinkable. He flipped over Ace-Jack not-suited. I lost leaving me crippled.

I played at the table for another 90 minutes, and even after all that time, my read on MP1 didn't change. He was definately loose passive, and almost definately an internet qualifier. I am still in disbelief as to how he of all people could put in his entire stack with AJo.

I know some people here are going to defend his call and say, "great read", but against my range of hands that I merely call the original 150 w/, AJo is even money (this range includes, any pair, any suited ace, AKo, AQo, suited connectors down to 54s, suited one gaps down to 64s, and a couple of unsuited broadway hands). If he's even money vs the range of hands I put in 150 chips with, his call for 8,000 more chips during 25/50 blinds is just abysmal.

My overall analysis of this play:
My read on how willing MP1 was to put his tournament life at stake was clearly off.
-Thanks for all the insight
-ZJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the very first CC, I'd play AJo the exact same way MP1 did. I don't think I'd have to think too long about calling your push with AJo either. Like yeah, it's "putting your tournament life on the line". Like the only hands he should be afraid of are AQ and JJ, but the pot was so bloated by then, I couldn't see him folding too quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

next time I call the 4th raise all in preflop w/ AJ will be the first. he called raises three times w/ AJo. he's a donkey.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 AM

Thank you for sharing a very interesting hand.

I'm surprised that villain's calling range included ajo, and it probably also included 99, almost his whole range to call the initial UTG bet and SB raise. I don't think it takes much to see that ajo is good against MP3 and hero's range, but MP1 deserves tremendous credit for making this call with this hand. It's at least as hard to call this, as it was for Justin to push. It was probably the best play he made all tournament; we should give him some credit.

I'll be looking forward to following many more of your big events; it takes guts to push when you suspect its unclear.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Interesting Hand from WPT Aruba

Any of you guys post a hand against me and describe me as an old man, I'm coming after you.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not making yourself clear here. If he's definitley loose-passive, isn't that the kind of player you expect to call a big all-in raise? This seems especially true in situations where he's put some money into the pot first and then raised behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus he's an internet qualifier, so this may be especially true. Those tournaments are fast, so he's used to being pushed around and having to make marginal calls. And he's used to thinking if he goes bust there's another tournament starting at the top of the hour.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 AM

Great call by the guy with AJo (and I mean GREAT). I still hate your all-in move here, but cheers for having some balls in a 10K event. Hope it didn't ruin your weekend.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:50 AM

I GET A COOKIE!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111101!