Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 01:09 PM

Default what\'s wrong with abc?

9/18 b&m seems typical...just sat down...know very little about anyone...i'm in co w/ AQ and open-raise...button calls...sb re-raises...bb calls...

flop: K-r-r

sb bets, bb calls, i raise, button folds, blinds call

turn is another blank and it's checked around...i take free card...river no help, checked again, i bet and take it down...abc poker, yes, lost a bet, probably, but isn't there some value in a straightforward play when you have no info about the table?
Old 09-10-2003, 02:20 PM

Default Re: what\'s wrong with abc?

Two comments a) I don't think raising the flop here is an ABC play. The flop is awful for you and you raise a preflop 3 bettor plus a cold caller. Not ABC at all. b) I don't see how you "missed a bet". What was going to call you on the turn?
Old 09-10-2003, 04:59 PM

Default Re: what\'s wrong with abc?

I agree with everything Paluka said.

Also, to answer your question, nothing is wrong with ABC. ABC poker is the foundation of good poker. A major mistake many players make as they move up in limits is trying to be too creative when the situation doesn't warrant it. Boring play gets the money in most middle-limit situations.

One other thing; never make a raise on the flop like that again. If this is something you are doing routinely, you need to review your basic poker knowledge.