Old 10-28-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Hockey

rangers in first place, bitch
Old 10-28-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we trashtalking? If so, I would point out the rangers would be tied for first in the SE division, and no better than second in any other division in the NHL. But we're probably not trashtalking, so never mind.

In all seriousness, though, the Rangers have gotten off to a great start and are playing much better than anyone expected. Do you guys think Lundqvist will be able to keep putting up the #s he has been though? 1.55 GAA and .942 SVP is pretty stellar, obviously there's no way he ends the season in that range, but do you think he'll be able to play at a consistently high level? I don't really know anything about this kid.

BTW How has Mike Nylander looked? Really liked him for the short time he was with the Bruins.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:18 PM

Nobody really knows anything about Lundqvist except maybe the Swedes. I doubt he will keep those #'s up, but he looks damn good right now.

I haven't watched that many Ranger games this year being that I live in NoVa now, but Nylander has looked pretty good. I think he has been centering the line with Jagr and Straka and he has done a good job of feeding Jagr with the puck.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we trashtalking? If so, I would point out the rangers would be tied for first in the SE division, and no better than second in any other division in the NHL. But we're probably not trashtalking, so never mind.

In all seriousness, though, the Rangers have gotten off to a great start and are playing much better than anyone expected. Do you guys think Lundqvist will be able to keep putting up the #s he has been though? 1.55 GAA and .942 SVP is pretty stellar, obviously there's no way he ends the season in that range, but do you think he'll be able to play at a consistently high level? I don't really know anything about this kid.

BTW How has Mike Nylander looked? Really liked him for the short time he was with the Bruins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just started to follow hockey this year. I know nothing, I have watched less than 5 full games in my life (seriously). I have some tickets for the garden in a month or so, I'm looking forward to it.

I saw some SI thing that had the rangers as the worst team, thats obviously way off base. I did look at the other conference standings, so I realize their first place standing is not very prestigious.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:44 PM

Rangers fan here. Jagr rules.

They are overachieving as of now. As another poster said they are finally playing as a team. Lundquist is capable of continuing his current play. If he actually does is another story. My biggest concern is they have too many roleplayers. Moore Ward and Betts are playing fantastic but I cant see them ever amounting to much. Ortmeyer busts his ass every game and Renney has the team playing with some passion.

I cant believe I am going to say this, but I think the Rangers need another veteran/star. All along they had too many and they stepped on each others toes and had no chemistry. I think with the exception of Jagr, this team has no star-power or any go-to guys. Straka was always a feeder to Jagr back in PIT. Nylander hasnt dont much. Ruuchin + Rucinsky play well together but havent been seeing the results I think they both are expecting as well. As another poster mentiond, their defense is terrible in creating odd man rushes. I have watched many games this year (all Ranger games) and multiple other games on the Center Ice package and I can say with confidence the Rangers are very close to last in the league in odd man rushes.

They need one more player, like an Elias perhaps to give give these role-players playing together someone with an offensive presence. They are definately playing above their heads.

P.S. How stupid is the name Fedor Fedorov?
Old 10-28-2005, 05:06 PM

IMO, the Rangers are fine up front... lots of star forwards is not going to improve your problems. You really need a stud d-man that can make the passes that start those odd-man rushes. It wouldn't hurt if he was good on D. That's where you need a star - a Rob Blake/Pronger type.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not a big fan of the shootout so far (mostly because every time I see one the team I am rooting for loses!).

I wish they would abolish the instigator penalty and ease up on the roughhousing misconducts- there are a lot of fans who enjoy seeing a couple of fights per game to go with some good hockey. With the salary cap, teams can't afford to carry goons who can't skate, so there is no danger of returning to the "Broad Street Bullies" days. I just get sick and tired of seeing guys getting 10 minutes for face washing someone. That is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually wish they would do away with fighting. Everytime is see a fight break out, I get the urge to watch something a little more high class . . . like pro wrestling.

Also the shootout is the second worst way dedcide a tie game ever. (the worst are soccer shootouts, and the third worst is College football overtime).
Old 10-28-2005, 08:57 PM

Blachawks fan here, and pretty disgusted so far with the team. However, I like the new and improved NHL product.

How he's played so far, Khabibulan is a huge downgrade from Jocelyn Thibault. He often seems out of position and has let in countless weak goals. He played one solid game in the shootout win at Colorado. Even that night Bulin was outplayed by Colorado rookie keeper Peter Budaj.

Watching the Hawks play Nashville this week made me really miss Steve Sullivan. The Hawks have absolutley no speed. In the new NHL fast teams such as Nashville & Buffalo are really benefiting from the open ice and the decline of clutching and grabbing in the neutral zone.

I really like the young nucleus being put together. When Tyler Arnason wants to he can be the best player on the ice on any given shift. His problem is he still hasn't overcome the laziness he's had since playing about 30 pounds over weight for St. Cloud State. Brent Seabrook & Pavol Vorobiev are playing real well. Ellison, Bourque, Duncan Keith and others are contributing as well. Calder, Ruutuu & Bell haven't done a whole lot yet. They're still lacking that one big goal scorer. A healthy Eric Daze is a pipe dream. I'm ready to chalk this season up to a rebuilding year and just hope Khabibulan can get on track.

The most frustrating thing other than Khabibulan is that instead of surrounding all of these young player with some veteran scorers, the Hawks spend their money on grinders like Marty Lapointe, Barnaby, Curtis Brown, Todd Simpson, etc. Everytime I look up one of these guys is in the box. Through 7 games the Hawks were 3 on 5 a leauge leading 15 times!!! I wouldn't blame the officials either, it was just stupid penalties and no discipline.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not a big fan of the shootout so far (mostly because every time I see one the team I am rooting for loses!).

I wish they would abolish the instigator penalty and ease up on the roughhousing misconducts- there are a lot of fans who enjoy seeing a couple of fights per game to go with some good hockey. With the salary cap, teams can't afford to carry goons who can't skate, so there is no danger of returning to the "Broad Street Bullies" days. I just get sick and tired of seeing guys getting 10 minutes for face washing someone. That is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually wish they would do away with fighting. Everytime is see a fight break out, I get the urge to watch something a little more high class . . . like pro wrestling.

Also the shootout is the third worst way to decide a game in overtime - first is soccer shootouts, and second is NFL football

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 10-28-2005, 11:13 PM

I like the new NHL so far. As a Devils fan, I don't like the fact that the Devils really aren't that good this year, but I like the fact that most people seem pumped up about it. I'd been saying for years that they needed to fix the collective bargaining agreement before they went about fixing the problem of no offense, and they've done both.

Also, the Rangers need someone who can play defense way before they think about acquiring another forward.