Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Re: I think I should quit (long)

I'm not saying you don't push if you get re-raised, but in the first few hands of a SNG, where the blinds + a couple of limpers may get you $35 - $40 in chips, why just push? Don't you want to extract as many chips as possible from someone with AQ, Ax, KQ JJ, whatever? You know you're going to get called by all of those hands and you will get re-raised all of the time by QQ, KK and probably AK...say AQ doesn't hit on the flop - you bet, he folds, you've collected chips from him you wouldn't have if you had pushed pre-flop. Or, he hits his Q and then you're probably going to get most if not all of his chips.

Pushing pre-flop with AA or KK is asinine in the early stages of a tourney or SNG...not only are you putting all of your chips at risk for a very small return, you're pushing out hands that will call a raise pre-flop.

You tell me, which is better? Isn't it the aim of every player to extract as many chips from their opponents as possible? The goal isn't to "win pots."

Be agressive with your great starting hands, but don't shut them out of collecting chips before it even has a chance.