Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2003, 02:54 AM

Default Flopped a boat, sunk on the river...

I'll spare you guys the details because the wound is still too fresh; however, it's what I proceeded to do AFTER the Queen hit and cost me at least a full rack. Yup, that's right--I hopped aboard the Tilt-a-Whirl and took a carnival ride right down to the felt (3 1/2 racks). I am furious with myself. I have been averaging around 3-5 BB/Hour at my local 6-12 and have logged a good month, so I am trying to digest this evening (at least the Giants won, I suppose).

Anyhow, how does everyone else snuff the tilt before it burns you alive? Chirst, it was eerie; I felt like I was a damn marionette and someone else was pushing my chips in. I think that I'll take tomorrow off and watch the re-broadcast of the WSOP. It's free.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Flopped a boat, sunk on the river...

I'm not sure what will work for you, but I just need to take a minute and walk around, maybe get some fresh air, kick over a no parking sign, etc. Just kidding about the last one, most of the time...

Anyway, I've learned the hard way that you CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PLAY ON TILT! If you're playing on tilt, get the hell up and walk to the cage and get out of there. I've learned the hard way that it turns winning sessions into rackoffs, losing sessions into rackoffs, average sessions into rackoffs.

You've just got to find something. The only positive thing about going on tilt is that it shows you that there is a hole in your game that can be plugged and net you quite a few extra big bets at the end of the year.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:29 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

"I am furious with myself. I have been averaging around 3-5 BB/Hour at my local 6-12 and have logged a good month"

did you really think this win rate was sustainable? how do you snuff tilt? learn more about the game and why you shouldnt expect a 3-5BB winrate.

if a badbeat puts you on tilt, what will you do when you get a series of them in one session? or in a couple str8 sessions?

isnt it a great game?

b
Old 07-08-2003, 11:23 AM

Well, no, I do not expect to sustain that win rate and because of this recent good fortune I am trying not to let yesterday eat me up to a point where I might consider throwing in the towel. This was the first time that I have experienced a complete melt-down and I was simply seeking some commiseration as I am certain that I am not the first inexperienced player to go on tilt and not the last (I beg you to think back to your first few months playing).

"Learn more about the game?" Since joining this forum, I have never once claimed that I possess a solid knowledge of hold'em (a quick review of my posts should be testimony enough). Moreover, my skill-level and expectation--or rather, the lack thereof--bears little relevance to my plumment-to-the-felt yesterday; I really need to learn more about myself and how I react to terrible beats.

Julian Gardiner has said that it's not how you play your hand in a bad beat; it's how you play the NEXT hand. I suppose that I should simply chew on this bon mot and refrain from asking anyone here for advice or similar nightmare stories. The one thing that I have realized in the past few months is that money doesn't buy class at a card table.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:19 PM

I used to tilt after beats a little for the first few months of playing. As far as I could tell, there was nothing I could really do while still playing to defeat it... it's insidious... it taints all your decisions. If I felt that chill after a beat, I just learned to get up until I wasn't thinking about it anymore. Go have a snack or hit on a cocktail waitress or something.

As you play more, you'll at least get more used to beats. Obviously some people never get over tilt-itis, but for me, I've mostly pretty much gotten over it. You really just have to believe in your heart that the beats are where your money comes from... that they really do miss 24 times out of 25 that they try it.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:24 PM

""Learn more about the game?" Since joining this forum, I have never once claimed that I possess a solid knowledge of hold'em (a quick review of my posts should be testimony enough). Moreover, my skill-level and expectation--or rather, the lack thereof--bears little relevance to my plumment-to-the-felt yesterday; I really need to learn more about myself and how I react to terrible beats. "

i didnt write that to be an A hole. i wrote it because the more you do learn the game, the less a single beat will affect you. you will understand how much you made during the hand even though you lost the pot. you can lose a pot and still make money on the hand.

"(I beg you to think back to your first few months playing)."

when im responding to players going through streaks and bad beats, this is where it's coming from. my time in the trenches, going through that crap. everyone goes through this at one point. the only way to really combat it preventativley is to delve deeper into the game. know why you dont mind them calling and sucking out.

along with experience. after awhile, youll get everyhand cracked, and nothing will suprise you. i saw that in my 7 weeks of pure hell. it actually became comical. but still sucked. but every bad streak now i can look back knowing that it's still not as bad as that 7 week run. unless it eclipses it.

b

btw...this is one of the 1st tough hurdles to overcome. some dont get over it. the fact your posting about it should help you get by it. after awhile, bad beats wont bother you. but then youll have the streaks to contend with. and that's another hurdle altogether. there, youll be questioning your very being and whether you shouldve ever picked up cards in the 1st place.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:44 AM

Thanks B--

That's exactly what I needed to hear. All apologies if my response seemed aloof; unfortunately voice inflection cannot be projected on a message board, so I did in fact receive your advice in sour taste. Truce?

BTW: A day later (and a day away from the tables) I have realized that overcoming a bad beat and consequent tilt-a-whirl is nothing compared to beating a booze and coke problem--with this in my mind I think that eventually I'll use this strength to become an impervious poker player. If I can stare at a shot of tequila and a fat line and refrain, one day I'll be able to stare at the likes of Cloutier and laydown a monster when I know he's got the nuts.

Thanks again.

SP
Old 07-09-2003, 10:05 AM

no truce needed. ive been on both sides of missing the inflections in a post. itll happen from time to time. which is why i clarified for ya.

have a good one...

b