Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Laying it down

OK, so your raise wasnt a minraise. If I read your OP correctly, pot was ~$75 on the flop. Villain bets $25, you raise it, making it $75 to go. So he has to call another $50 on a pot of $175. This is not a big raise at all. Then you bet $100 on the turn, into a pot of $225 - less than half the pot. Finally, your allin on the river is app. half a potbet. His bet on the flop is weak, but I cant see how your raise is strong. It's hard from his perspective to put you on a hand that beats him - other than AT or JJ - or a very tricky played overpair or set. But like you said: he is not the player to lay down hands when he smells his opponent is getting tricky on him.

If you actually had a strong hand that would surely beat him, you wouldve played it perfectly - building the pot slowly but surely, comitting him more on every street.

You never decided what you were doing in this hand: you bet too little to push him off a better hand, yet you bet too much for the value of your hand.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never imagined someone would raise to 25 with K10 Preflop. I find that to be a perpostourous play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kind of thinking has cost me my stack many times over as I've climbed up from the kiddie pen.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:18 PM

Don't bluff the fish. But if you try your flop raise should have been bigger say a 100. If he calls it does'nt look like he is going to get off the hand.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity, how did the button manage to check-call on fourth and fifth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing but then the original poster said that he was actually the villian so he probably just got confused when he was making the post.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 AM

And also, it's not a preposterous play. Everybody's shown weakness and there's decent money in the pot for taking. If he get's called his hand isn't a good one, but at least it's better than nothing. I can see myself making this raise very easily. You should give a wide range of hands to big button raises after a couple of limpers. Dependent on the raiser of course, but stealing from the limpers is a common practise even for tight players.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:02 AM

your post is really confusing... how the hell does this guy have the button, then check/call?? WTF? the KT guys play is quite bad... the 99 play is easily worse...