Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Default very aggressive player

I played for the first time at full tilt last night. When we got to the final table I was second in chips. I was never at the table with the chip leader until now. He raised Every hand if someone raised in front of him he would reraise. I decided to sit back and wait for a hand where I could take advantage of this but it never happened. I did finish in third thanks to him getting very lucky many times and taking others out. But I think at the final table I played maybe 6 hands due to his raising. Was this the correct startagy or should I have played back at him with marginal hands?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: very aggressive player

It;s probably correct to tighten up at a table with this guy, and also correct to sloplay you're big hands against him.

Id call with AA-QQ & AK and reraise allin with AQ-A10 and JJ-88 and maybe call with KQ or KJs depending on position.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:43 PM

It would help to know stack sizes and blinds. Was he calling reraises with junk? If not, you could just move in on him after one of his raises, and he wouldn't call you without a hand. If he has position on you, you are just in a terrible spot to acquire chips. If he was directly to your left and playing like this, I would consider a 3rd a good result. Your only weapon without picking up a hand and doubling off him would be to purposely limp with trash, and then raise all in. I have never done this before, but it might have been something to think about. That is unless he was calling light, in which case just wait and pray for a hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:44 PM

thanks good info. Im still in the learning process (but then aren't we all) I just wish I would have gotten a hand to play to take some chips.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:45 PM

That depends on a lot of things, most especially the size of your stack relative to others and relative to the blinds. If you are in a fairly comfortable situation, you can let him bust a few others and push borderline hands like AJ, etc. hard against him as you start getting short-handed.

If you're already short, then your goal should be to double through him. Be wary of anyone who has already entered the pot, even if they just limped, because they may be trying to trap the aggressor. But if you've got a reasonable hand in late position or the blinds and no one other than him has entered the pot, you need to hit back.

I guess this boils down to play hands that are solid favorites against his wide range (recognizing that this is a lot more than 88+, AT+) but don't take unnecessary risks (ie trying to re-steal with 78s) if others are willing to get frisky with him and maybe bust out ahead of you.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would help to know stack sizes and blinds. Was he calling reraises with junk? If not, you could just move in on him after one of his raises, and he wouldn't call you without a hand. If he has position on you, you are just in a terrible spot to acquire chips. If he was directly to your left and playing like this, I would consider a 3rd a good result. Your only weapon without picking up a hand and doubling off him would be to purposely limp with trash, and then raise all in. I have never done this before, but it might have been something to think about. That is unless he was calling light, in which case just wait and pray for a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all true.. my previous post is assuming he is acting before you and M's greater then 8-9. With him to your left use the limp-reraise with AA-88 AK-AJs and you should be in fine
Old 11-01-2005, 05:48 PM

depends on blinds, stacks, and what he has been doing after somebody pushed his raise.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every hand if someone raised in front of him he would reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone advocating the limp-raise?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:55 PM

He was two to my right. the tourny starte with 64 paid top 8. when we got to the final table he had 25K I had 19K. Most other stacks were very small compared to ours there was one guy with 11 so when he was reraised by a small stack he would put them all in. The hand range was very wide. He would call with he showed down with 8 10 suited, KQ, A5 and a couple others. it was hard to put him on a hand because he was raising everything. I felt comfortable as the blinds were 250 / 500 with a 50 Ante. I did hit one big hand on him when I got QQ but that was the only hand I got and that was after I was blinded down to 11,000 when we were four handed
Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It;s probably correct to tighten up at a table with this guy, and also correct to sloplay you're big hands against him.

Id call with AA-QQ & AK and reraise allin with AQ-A10 and JJ-88 and maybe call with KQ or KJs depending on position.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's always reraising and you've got a hand I would raise and let him come over the top. You get a lot less action if you slow play.