Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 01:16 PM

Default USC -17 at ASU - is that correct??

asked some guys in my office for their opinion on what the point spread should be. we said from 7.5 to 10.

i checked on bloomberg (obviously not too definitive cause you can't act on it).... but it said USC -17. it's at ASU and they looked really, really impressive last week.

any thoughts??
Old 09-27-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: USC -17 at ASU - is that correct??

Yeah, my thoughts are that the impressiveness of ASU's performance is almost irrelevant. The general thought right now is that we might be watching one of the best, if not the best, college football teams of all time. Thus, the 17 pt spread.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
asked some guys in my office for their opinion on what the point spread should be. we said from 7.5 to 10.

i checked on bloomberg (obviously not too definitive cause you can't act on it).... but it said USC -17. it's at ASU and they looked really, really impressive last week.

any thoughts??

[/ QUOTE ]

If you watched the USC-Oregon game on Saturday, you'd understand why it's at 17. Oregon's not that great, but they were fired up, their crowd was fired up, they jumped on USC early...and then the Trojans calmly and methodically just ROLLED over Oregon the rest of the game. It was complete destruction. Leinart and crew just don't get fazed in a hostile environment. USC is playing much better than they were at this point last year.

Not saying go one way or the other, just that 17 points seems about right given USC's crushing performance in a situation where a lot of talented teams would have melted.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 PM

thanks guys for the responses!!

looked at sagarin ratings and "gold sheets" ratings and USC's power rating is miles and miles above any other team. "gold sheets" has them 12 points better than texas and 16 points better than Va Tech and then 3-4 teams 17-18 points better.

FWIW, gold sheets ratings would suggest USC as 18 point favorite (note this is not their pick, just me using their ratings).
Old 09-27-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my thoughts are that the impressiveness of ASU's performance is almost irrelevant. The general thought right now is that we might be watching one of the best, if not the best, college football teams of all time. Thus, the 17 pt spread.

[/ QUOTE ]

But doesn't the general public pretty much feel like USC is a juggernaut who is going to roll over everybody? In other words, can there really be any value in betting USC the rest of the way?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:34 PM

i dont think i could ever bet against USC after the way they have been playing..
Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 PM

The only way I can bet against USC is if someone smarter than me tells me to do so. And thats happened this week.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:59 PM

I like ASU +17. USC is banged up in the secondary and ASU is very explosive offensive team. I think this game with be a shootout with neither team able to stop the other. The team that can avoid a costly turnover will win the game.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:02 PM

How much you want to bet, I'll take USC -17.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much you want to bet, I'll take USC -17.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have some money on it at pinnacle, sorry. And though I think ASU will cover I do not want to put anymore money on it then I already did.