Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Random thought: Why can\'t strange curvy letters be automatically r

[ QUOTE ]

Man you are a tool.

It's already been posted, but...

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mori/gimpy/gimpy.html

Please show me a CAPTCHA that can't be beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot. I already posted a link where the authors of a CAPTCHA cracking project say there are some that will not be broken. Here is the Link. Now scroll down to halfway and you will see numerous CAPTCHA's that have not been broken and the authors state that the Yahoo and others will probably never be broken. Furthermore, the page you cite is simply one project attempting to break 1 or 2 EASY CAPTCHA's.

You are a moron. A similiar statement that you would espouse would be that since WEP encryption has been broken then routers are not safe regardless of the fact that there are newer encryptions available that have not been broken.

Learn to read.

cheers
Boon
Old 06-13-2005, 07:14 PM

Well I disagree with the author. Captcha's can be beat by various means. However I will reinforce that there are variations that VERY FEW know how to beat them. That is all I'm going to say about that.

Still even if they couldn't be beat what would prevent somebody from sitting in front of 30 screens while their bots did the work? Pretty much nothing.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:53 PM

BTW, since you are so emotional about this, how are your bots?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 PM

Rather than using a static image for the test (i.e., the "gimpy" example), why don't they use a word-scramble or simple math problem to accomplish the same thing, but defeat the ability of a bot to break through by simply decifiring the image.

For example, instruct the user to count the number of lines in an image and then add some random decimal (created independently for each user).

Or, present a series of characters and issue randomly generated instructions on how to sequence the characters to create a word (kinda like random boggle).

I don't pretend to know much about this stuff, but it seems like there should be an elegant, yet simple, way to defeat the ability of a bot to "read" a security image.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, instruct the user to count the number of lines in an image and then add some random decimal (created independently for each user).

[/ QUOTE ]But this would have the undesirable effect of weeding out the players who couldn't count or do simple arithmetic.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Random thought: Why can\'t strange curvy letters be automatically read?

I haven't pressed it yet, but doesn't the system used in hotmail have an audio button? What does this button do? If it pronounces the words over the speakers, wouldn't a microphone and a simple audio-processing algorithm do the trick?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Or, present a series of characters and issue randomly generated instructions on how to sequence the characters to create a word (kinda like random boggle).

[/ QUOTE ]

A computer would be much better than humans at this.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't pressed it yet, but doesn't the system used in hotmail have an audio button? What does this button do? If it pronounces the words over the speakers, wouldn't a microphone and a simple audio-processing algorithm do the trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

http://www.research-lab.com/

Also I could sit infront of a computer and let the bots run on every poker room. My only job would be to beat the CAPTCHA's.

FYI: This is one subject I am very worried about btw. I really would like to know more about Party Poker's countermeasures. If I didn't play so much poker (I don't want to get banned) I would be running bots right now. Not to make money, but just out of curiousity of how many people playing online are actually humans. Also, I am curious if I could actually pull it off. Online games are much tighter than live games yet the games are still rather good so I can't get too much into a fuss. Still, I am still a bit worried as to how they are going to keep their poker rooms safe. Or if they even care. Action is action and rake will always be collected so I have trouble seeing party being too bothered by this. The bots will regulate themselves through natural selection.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM

The problem with allowing bots is that it raises the barrier to entry. If decent bots ever become a certain percentage of your opponents the only way to win will be to be ridiculously good or to build a better bot. Both of those are hard to do. People unable to do either will go elsewhere for their action. Eventually, someone will release an optimal bot that everyone will use and there'll be no point in playing, you'll have no advantage.