Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 07:56 AM

Default \"Value Bet\" or take the free showdown?

I can't see what this guy would call me down with other than a flush draw but also couldn't see why he wouldn't push in his last $6 if he hit it....Not that big of a deal (he only has $6 but what to do?) Villains is 82/8 with a 0.54 Postflop AF so i can't really put him on a hand although i do have top two now...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($53.25)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($25.94)</font>
Button ($56.25)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($13.64)</font>
BB ($22.53)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, SB calls $2, BB calls $2.

Turn: ($8.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB calls $5, BB folds.

River: ($18.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ??????
Old 05-07-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: \"Value Bet\" or take the free showdown?

Easy easy easy easy bet for me. The guy is extremely loose preflop and passive postflop. That combo leaves about 1000 different hands that he could have that are calling you down here, the only "likely" hand that is beating you is a flushdraw, and I put that in quotes because as you said, almost anyone who hit there draw is betting this river with such a small amount left behind them.

Bet this, expect a call, expect to be far ahead most of the time.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:17 AM

If his stack is deeper, is it an easy check?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:30 AM

Against this opponent I am trying really hard to get a river bet out there . His stats say he is extremely passive, so assuming you haven't actually seen him make any huge bluffs, you can probably rule out the possibility enough here to simply not worry about it. So if he did have a big stack, I am betting some medium amount that I figure will be called by alot of weaker hands, and folding to a big raise. The guy is a calling station and you need to take advantage of that.

So, key points here are:

1: He's not very likely at all to bluff at this pot. You don't have to worry much about being pushed off your hand.

2: He is very loose preflop which leaves him with many many hands that you are ahead of that will call your river bet.

3: He is very passive postflop and is probably less likely to go for a checkraise(meaning if he had just made his hand you are most likely going to see a bet from him, which you didn't).

So, no matter what his stack is(and your's too), I am betting this river.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:11 PM

might as well bet it since he only has $6 left, but if he had signiificantly more it'd be a check. the A didn't really turn your hand into a monster...you're still losing to a set, strait, or flush.

a check behind here wouldn't be bad either since you got a "value" bet in on the turn, but against his range, i'd try to take his last $6.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:14 PM

bet out, for sure. if he has the flush that sucks, but thats really all i see him having to beat you, while i see pleanty of lower aces/other garbage calling.

rj