Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Some advice needed from better Sit N\' Go Players.

So I recently lost two sit n' goes on the first hand and I am wondering if it was just a bad beat or a bad play. First scenerio goes like this...

First hand comes AA. I am in second position. Raise 150. Guy reraises to 300. Everyone folds. I push. He has Jacks and hits a set.

Very next tournament...

First hand KK. Folds around to me in late position. I raise to 65. Button Pushes. I call. He hits a set of eights.

Now I realize that I had the best starting hand in both situations, but my question is, even with these starting hands, should I risk all my chips this early in the tourney? Would you all have played this differently? If so, how do you play Group 1 hands this early on? I am somewhat new to Sit N' Goes and any advice will be appreciated.

And lastly, can you all recommend some reading I should do for Sit N' Go strategy. I have read both Slanskys Tourney book and Harringtons. Can you suggest any other tournament geared books I should read or any online information?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Some advice needed from better Sit N\' Go Players.

[ QUOTE ]
even with these starting hands, should I risk all my chips this early in the tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I realize that I had the best starting hand in both situations, but my question is, even with these starting hands, should I risk all my chips this early in the tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, fold everything until level 5.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Why such rude responses? Did I say something wrong?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why such rude responses? Did I say something wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

How was the first response rude?

Yes, you should be getting all your chips in pre-flop with AA or KK early on if at all possible. Even with QQ you probably should be but in certain situations it's probably right to fold.

This is a bad beat post and you are asking a question which *repeatedly* comes up about getting allin with AA or KK pre-flop. It's almost never right to fold either pre-flop in poker, so don't even worry about it.

Yugoslav
Old 04-04-2005, 06:55 PM

As for reading, the AleoMagus guide is the Bible of SnG play for now. I call it that because while it contains a formulaic approach for accomplishing a goal, many highly intelligent people disagree on its accuracy and correct application. The Harrington and Skalansky books are aimed at a slightly different audience, so I'd stay away from applying their concepts to SnG's until you've figured out which ones to apply, and which to leave at the large MTT's.

As for your hands, you played them fine. If the fish never sucked out they'd never pay you off. Just consider it your fish food budget.

Slim
Old 04-04-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for reading, the AleoMagus guide is the Bible of SnG play for now. I call it that because while it contains a formulaic approach for accomplishing a goal, many highly intelligent people disagree on its accuracy and correct application.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...you should write for the Daily Show with Jon Stewart!
Great Analogy.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:23 PM

if you can ever get all the chips in an 80% or > favorite in a SNG (WSOP ME for that matter)....do it. you got 8 times owed to you now where your pair over pair wins....congrats! Buy your self a beer

If you think you messed up, or that you're not able to do it (the buy in is not worth an all in to you) then poker is not for you...and NL is DEFINITELY not for you.

gluck
Old 04-04-2005, 07:25 PM

Very good advice Slim Pickens. Thanks. I will study up on this strategy and work it into my own.

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked many times before, and will correct myself and say response rather than responses. Hope there are no hard feelings. I will make a point to read previous posts on the subject before asking a new question. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 PM

Your chance of winning the all in is 80% against these dominated pairs.

Quick calculation:
Q: Suppose you got to play every hand of every SnG all in as a 4:1 favorite. What would your ROI be on average?

A: 243%

Now you tell me if you played it right or not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pokerscott