Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Flopped Flush - What to do

Hey All,

0.5/1 Stars Cash Game

Just bought in for $100

I get 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB and hav.
e a free ride with 3 other callers (SB, UTG and the button).

Flop

7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet $3, call by UTG raised to $5 by the button, I call the raise and then UTG raises to $25.

Button thinks for ages and folds.

What is your play?

Cheers, Jon
Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Flopped Flush - What to do

Push? If you don't push, then you will be on the turn right?
Old 08-11-2004, 05:37 PM

Push!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:49 PM

I think you have to consider laying it down, here. UTG just called the small raise, then rereraised all in, which smells like the nuts to me. Even if you believe that he would do this with any flush, the only flushes that you beat are 24, 28, and 48, and there are a boat of them that beat you.

On the other hand, you do have 2 outs for a straight flush. It's always hard to lay those down. Hey, you're only a 10-to-1 dog against Ad Jd. Of course, you are a 22-to-1 dog against Ad 4d or Ad 8d, but you only live once.

Seriously, you have to know your players. If there is even a 25% chance he would do this with the bare Ad, then push. But you really should think hard about laying down your weak flush.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:11 PM

Call me weak but I don't think I could ever fold a flopped flush online. Yeah it could be flush over flush, but he could be playing just as hard with a paired card and the case A, or even a set. The push here is +EV without question.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:16 PM

If I had the nuts would I raise to 10 or 15, not 25.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:28 PM

Yes, it's possible you're facing another flush, which you probably lose to. But it's likely you're facing someone who believes they have the best hand right now, and wants to make anyone holding a single diamond pay to draw for it. Could be a set or a flopped straight or just A7o or something.

I don't think someone makes this kind of move with a naked diamond. It's either a made flush or someone with no diamonds who has a strong hand and wants to kill odds to draw to a flush.

I agree that a push here is probably +EV. It's obviously push or fold at this point.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:59 PM

Hi,

The bare Ad might do this, but after you bet and call a raise any decent player knows your not folding. Push and hope he's bad and calls getting 1.8 on his draw.

I think if he's called he's drawing very live vs 60% of the time and the other 40% of the time your drawing very slim.

Then again, its SS, so he could really think his str8 draw semi-bluff is going to win the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Result

Hey All,

Thanks for all your replies and sorry for the delay in replying!

I decided to fold after using all my time!!

To be quite honest I am surprised so many of you advocated pushing on this hand.

I read UTG for having Q high or K high flush already made. When the cutoff raised and UTG reraised, cutoff took ages before laying his hand down, so I put him on the bare ace of diamonds.

I can't imagine UTG raising with anything other than a made flush higher than mine here.

Maybe I was too weak, but thank you for the replies. I have a lot to learn in NL ring games as I am a tourney player normally.

Cheers Jon
Old 08-14-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Result

Yes that's incredibly weak. In cash games you must be prepared to reload at any time, if you can't do that, then you're playing too high for your bankroll. A push here is a no brainer, most of the time you will see two pair here and trips trying to protect his hand, and take down the now sizable pot. If he has a higher flush, you still have an out. Flop a flush, you want all your money in on the flop, everytime.