Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Default TPTK + flush draw... did I play this right?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

Hero ($60.98)
Button ($129.86)
SB ($41.17)
BB ($197.90)
UTG ($35.35)
UTG+1 ($125.65)
UTG+2 ($57.15)
MP1 ($27.65)
MP2 ($36)
MP3 ($58.80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $2, MP2 calls $2, MP3 calls $2.

Flop: ($13.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, UTG folds, MP2 calls $2.

Turn: ($19.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $2</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $8.

River: ($39.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $25</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $64.50

Do you guys think I should have raised on the flop? My thinking during the hand was that I could lure anybody else that may happen to have a lower flush draw into the hand. I figured him for J10 during the hand. Any thoughts on this? But now that I think about it, MP3 might have put me on a flush draw without hitting anything on the board, and then thought I was doing a semi-bluff on the turn. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Re: TPTK + flush draw... did I play this right?

I would raise the flop. Im no pro or anything but when I am winning the hand, I want as much money into the pot as possible.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:46 PM

I raise on the flop. It's where your advantage is the biggest and you may get paid off by a number of other hands including an inferior flush draw. By just calling everyone's going to put you on a flush draw and you're not going to get paid if you hit on the turn.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:50 PM

First, I probably would have placed a larger raise in the pot pre-flop. AJ is not the strongest of hands and I would have hoped to isolate just one player especially on PP where you are almost assured of getting called by every limper for that raise amount.

On the flop, you are probably the best hand at the moment and MP3 made what I would assume was a weak bet (with no other info to go on). I probably would have made it $9 to go which almost assuredly wins the pot right there or only gets a call from MP3.

Calibus
Old 08-17-2004, 11:33 PM

Preflop - If you're going to raise, you probably should pop it more, to five or so. Sometimes I'll raise here and sometimes I'll just limp. A small raise doesn't do much for you when there's already two limpers.

On the flop - I would most definitely raise. This is a large underbet, and you want to get more money in on the flop when you have a very strong hand.

On the river - Tough call here, either he backed into the boat, or he's got a jack like you. I'd be weary of JT, 88, and 33, but he could also have KJ. I think I'd end up laying this down though, I don't think you win often enough to call here.

Hope this helps,
Justin A