Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 09:12 AM

Default AKs, my play ok?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($49)
Button ($31.25)
SB ($31.10)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($27.20)</font>
UTG ($7.25)
<font color="C00000">UTG+1 ($18.75)</font>
UTG+2 ($42.95)
MP1 ($27.75)
MP2 ($49.15)
MP3 ($38.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>,50, UTG+1 calls $1.50, SB folds.

Flop: ($4.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, UTG+1 calls $4.

Turn: ($12.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, UTG+1 calls $12.75 (All-In).

River: ($38.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $38.25
<font color="green">Main Pot: $38, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($38).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $0.25, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kd Ad (flush, ace high).
UTG+1 shows 7c Ac (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins $38.25. </font>

UTG+1 was quite pissed, on the turn, I figured if I was up against a set I was just unlucky, if I was up against 2 pair then I still had outs and against A7 I believe I had 18 outs on the river.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: AKs, my play ok?

Nothing wrong here. No way you could have realized you were beat on the flop until it was too late with stacks that short. The fact that you picked up a flush draw on the turn makes the push even easier.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:39 PM

Seems standard.

A 5x BB raise.

Pot bet on flop and turn.

Then he's all in so river is no-decision.

jw
Old 08-14-2004, 09:44 PM

Nothing wrong with your play.

However, be weary of A,K out of position. I would only raise preflop to steal the pot. I assume that is what you were doing.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with your play.

However, be weary of A,K out of position. I would only raise preflop to steal the pot. I assume that is what you were doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never weary of AK out of position =]. The stacks are small and his opponents are weak, therefore, AK is an excellent raising hand. Weak opponents will call the raise with hands like A7 and for every time you pay off their two pair, they will pay off your top pair top kicker three times.

I agree that the poster played the hand fine. I would raise more preflop.

-Jeff
Old 08-15-2004, 12:31 AM

Playing A,K agressively with the goal of building a pot while upfront will simply get you killed in NL.

The stacks are relatively deep for a 50 cent BB
Old 08-15-2004, 12:35 AM

ill disagree with the rest of the posters and say i think you shoud have put in half on the turn, and half on the river. What are you tryign to accomplish by putting him on all in the turn? All you do there is fold out A,x hands. and you know you arnt folding out 2 pair when you pot it..

so against bad players who call too much with marginal hands, you might as well underbet it to entice them to make a mistake. you arnt allowing them to make much of a mistake by pushing the rest of his stack in here... It seems that here you have applied a good strategy (getting aggressive when you pick up a draw + good pair), but applied it to the slightly incorrect situation. Always keep in mind what hands he could have, and how you can get the max from those hands. here his most likely hand is obviously an ace with a lower kicker than yours.

feel free to disagree so we can talk about it
Old 08-15-2004, 02:31 AM

Here's one decidedly non expert's opinion: Taking him all in on the turn is a mistake, as the only hand that calls you here, given reasonable players, has you beat, as he did. You got lucky to hit your 4-1 flush on the river for the win, but 4 out of five hands, you lose. When you took him all in, were you thinking that you already had him beat, or were you counting on your outs to save your ass? My ass is worth more than 3 or 4 to 1...

Also, your opponent played horribly. Slow playing two pair in NL is a recipe for disaster, at least in my experience. With the level of player we see at these limits, your play was actually not that bad, cause plenty of these guys will call your bet with Ax... But in the interest of improving your game, try to recognize those instances when you may be beat, and don't get blinded by Big Slick...

Then again, what do I know?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:38 AM

my guess is that he did not necessarily want a caller. he might have put him on a straight draw, or any other kind of draw (looking for a set, Ax looking for second pair, who knows at this limit) - i don't see the push as an overall bad move. don't take my word for it, but i think your play here is generally fine.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:26 AM

Hero has just over 50BBs and the villian has just under 40BB, perfect sizes for stacking off with TPTK.