Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Locking in a large field with a turn C/R and top pair

This is a special hand for me because I never C/R one pair into a large field on the turn, even if it's TPTK. I did it it because everyone at the table has a VPIP of 40 or greater ([img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and I've been thrashing MP with some strong hands lately so he might be playing back. He also likes to raise draws so I thought he was drawing on this board.

Even with all that I still didn't feel comfortable with the C/R, I would have liked it if I could face the field with 2 but I just locked them in (except UTG) Would you guys do something different on the turn/river? Do I still bet if it's a a heart or 5,6?

Thanks

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (20.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
Old 06-18-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Locking in a large field with a turn C/R and top pair

I play it the same. Just calling the turn bet seems weak to me when the Queen comes.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Locking in a large field with a turn C/R and top pair

Checkraising the turn is good if someone is likely to bet. It's that simple.

Given the strength of your pair and the large pot size it is not very practical to protect your hand on the turn. It's too difficult to drive out the live draws, especially in 1/2. In this situation whatever gets you paid for your nice hand is good.

I'm betting the river even if it's the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You are getting 4-1 on this bet and checkcalling may not save you any money when you're beat.