Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 AM

Default weak play ?

how would you have played this differently?

***** Hand History for Game 2147022840 *****
NL Hold'em Trny:12766643 Level:3 Blinds (15/30) - Friday, June 03, 02:44:23 EDT 2005
Table $5,000 Freeroll(354144) Table #90 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: PuertoKid ( $890 )
Seat 3: chad_c_u ( $925 )
Seat 4: koreanpride5 ( $1755 )
Seat 5: bb61385 ( $1910 )
Seat 8: purerealm ( $2050 )
Seat 9: oren111 ( $875 )
Seat 10: EddieCash ( $190 )
Seat 6: BIGROTT420 ( $2000 )
Seat 7: mike35lc ( $1875 )
Seat 2: papychipper ( $1485 )
Trny:12766643 Level:3
Blinds (15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to purerealm [ Td Ts ]
chad_c_u folds.
koreanpride5 folds.
bb61385 did not respond in time.
bb61385 folds.
BIGROTT420 folds.
mike35lc calls [30].
purerealm raises [100].
oren111 folds.
EddieCash folds.
PuertoKid folds.
papychipper calls [70].
mike35lc folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 3h, 4h, As ]
papychipper checks.
purerealm checks.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6h ]
papychipper bets [70].
purerealm calls [70].
** Dealing River ** [ 8s ]
papychipper bets [250].
purerealm folds.
papychipper does not show cards.
papychipper wins 635 chips
Old 06-03-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: weak play ?

1/2 pot continuation bet on flop when checked to.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:09 AM

and then? I had a feeling that he had Ace and something, probably a low kicker. if he had called a half pot continuation bet, should i have gone ahead and tried to take the pot or just admit defeat and check/fold
Old 06-03-2005, 05:19 AM

You played this hand without gaining any information. How do you have a 'feeling' that he had a weak ace? You didn't bet the flop so didn't see his reaction where he may have feared you had an ace, but your check showed him that you probably didn't. Why did you call the turn bet if you thought he had an ace? Raise to test he had an ace or fold, calling was the worst decision. Given you have had 2 betting rounds without getting any information then you have to fold the river because you showed nothing but weakness until then and have no idea what the strength of his hand is because you never tested it.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:11 PM

Pre-flop: If you're going to raise, you need to raise more. TT is a hand that you'd like to win pre-flop if you're raising. I'd make it somewhere around T120-150. At T100, you're giving good enough odds for the limper to come along. Early in MTTs I often limp with hands like TT. I'm not as much interested in winning the blinds (and the call) as hitting a set or overpair and winning a big pot. There's more risk in that strategy but I accept that in the hopes of building a nice stack quickly.

Flop: I'd recommend a continuation bet of 1/2 to 2/3 the pot. 1/2 is often not enough to get people to fold early in MTTs, especially in low buy-in (or freeroll) events. But you represented a big hand pre-flop so you can represent something like AK-AJ by making the continuation bet. Even if he had a weak Ace he might fold. And there are many more hands he could have than a weak Ace - especially middle pairs. If I just checked on the flop, it would only be with the plan of be betting or raising on the turn. That's another way you could play AK-AJ or AA. But no way I'm checking here to just check or call on the turn - too passive.

Turn: Like I said, you should have raised. His bet looks weak and raising after checking the flop is pretty strong. If he calls you're going to have to make a tough decision on the river (notice one important thing - on every action I'm thinking about how my decision right now will influence my next action; you need to always have a plan on how you're going to play the hand and not just react to the cards).

River: This is the problem of just calling on the turn. He made a decent size bet. It could be that he thinks he has the best hand with Ax (and the x could be an 8). It could be that he was trapping all along (not likely I think but possible). It could be that he understands you've played it weakly and he can buy the pot. You might have the best hand. You have no idea.

So yeah, a bit weak and passive.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:25 PM

Id bet out the flop and try to represent an ace. If I got a call on the flop I would put the brakes on real fast and check fold.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:28 PM

I think he had a heart flush. That's why I bet the flop nearly the full pot.