Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Is this a NL gaybet?

$25 NL, $.25/$.50 blinds. I'm sitting with $120. Villian has slightly less. I've hit a few rivers. Getting pocket kings three times in two hours and doubling up on two of those hands doesn't help. People view me with a sort of cautious contempt, but call me none the less. I'm on my second beer, and the soberest person in the game. We're 4 handed now.

Villian opens to for $1, I make it $3, the blinds run, and he makes it $5. What does this mean? I'm not sure. I call. What do you think it means? I doubt he would be so willing to tell me he has a big pair for so cheap, but it's possible.

I have AKo, in case you're interested.

Flop $10.75.

J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

He bets $5.
Your action?
Old 05-07-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Is this a NL gaybet?

[ QUOTE ]
$25 NL, $.25/$.50 blinds. I'm sitting with $120. Villian has slightly less. I've hit a few rivers. Getting pocket kings three times in two hours and doubling up on two of those hands doesn't help. People view me with a sort of cautious contempt, but call me none the less. I'm on my second beer, and the soberest person in the game. We're 4 handed now.

Villian opens to for $1, I make it $3, the blinds run, and he makes it $5. What does this mean? I'm not sure. I call. What do you think it means? I doubt he would be so willing to tell me he has a big pair for so cheap, but it's possible.

I have AKo, in case you're interested.

Flop $10.75.

J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

He bets $5.
Your action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold to a bad player 99% of the time.
To a good player I'd fold most of the time. In a tournament situation I might raise.

The only thing that makes me think is whether you have the implied odds to go for a straight. It might be worth calling, but you'd have to know the opponent well for this. The problem is that you really don't have 10 outs, on top of that, if he has AA/KK, not only do you have less outs, you might get into EXPENSIVE trouble. It's hard for me to guage accurately if calling could be worth it here. I'm at a loss on how to calculate it accurately, but I don't think you can call. If you had a 3flush I would call. And obviously you would raise/call with a 4flush.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:03 AM

If you think there is a chance you are ahead and villain is also pretty passive then I don't mind raising here to about 20. What I mean by passive is that he won't reraise you here with an overpair, and will let you take a free card on the turn. The small chance you are ahead, plus the chance your A and K are good along with the gutshot make this not too bad of a play IMO.

If villain is capable of reraising you on the flop here with an overpair or worse then I would just let it go. On second thought I'm probably folding even if I can get a free card here on the turn.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think there is a chance you are ahead and villain is also pretty passive then I don't mind raising here to about 20. ..... On second thought I'm probably folding even if I can get a free card here on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I think people lose too much with AK.

Your opponent typically has a pocket pair in that situation. You're drawing anywhere from a maximum of 10 outs to a minimum of 4 outs.

I don't see why this is a hand to make a stand.

(clearly a player could have a read on a player to indicate that Ace high might be good, and only the original poster could make that call. But in the absence of a read, I think this is an easy fold.)
Old 05-07-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you think there is a chance you are ahead and villain is also pretty passive then I don't mind raising here to about 20. ..... On second thought I'm probably folding even if I can get a free card here on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I think people lose too much with AK.

Your opponent typically has a pocket pair in that situation. You're drawing anywhere from a maximum of 10 outs to a minimum of 4 outs.

I don't see why this is a hand to make a stand.

(clearly a player could have a read on a player to indicate that Ace high might be good, and only the original poster could make that call. But in the absence of a read, I think this is an easy fold.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people don't lose much with AK. It's an easy hand to walk away from. As opposed to something like KK.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people don't lose much with AK. It's an easy hand to walk away from. As opposed to something like KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean most 'good' people don't lose too much. I play $25 and $50 tables where many play Ak like they have aces. Where they miss the flop, get bet into and still reraise all in.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 AM

easy fold, you can definately pick better spots.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
easy fold, you can definately pick better spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I would say this is an OK call, with a lot of money behind, many as ten outs and a less-than-half-pot bet. Fold the turn if you don't improve.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Results :

I called.

Turn and river J and 10, check check, check check. He had AQ and rivered me for the tie.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Some people may find your title offensive.