Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Default should i have known?

Been at the table for a long time... Villian just sat down
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (7 handed) converter

Button ($18.30)
SB ($24.75)
BB ($8)
UTG ($23.15)
Hero ($47.35)
MP2 ($15.60)
CO ($24.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.10) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button calls $3, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($9.10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Button calls $6.

River: ($21.10) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8.55</font>, Hero calls $2.55.

Button had Q,Q... idk why the converted didn't post that part

Final Pot: $38.20

Just comment on everything, should i have known i was beat? I suck horribly so i'd love comments on everything i did wrong/right.

p.s.
sorry if this hand is boring or something, idk what qualifies at a postable hand.

just2ska
Old 04-22-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Re: should i have known?

I generally would raise more preflop, or not at all. Other than that, given his stack size and your lack of a read, I think you played it fine.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:12 PM

Check either the turn or the river, unless you are sure he's calling with QK or worse. There are no draws, and middle pair has you beat.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:22 PM

Hey, Rudeboy.

You know... I keep staring at your post and don't know how I feel about it. I go from not minding it (probably because I've played many a pot this way... usually with positive results at SSNL) to a general dislike of it [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

The villain never did anything until the river to indicate that he had any strength. He played his hand weakly at every point, he had an almost a perfect flop for slowplaying his hand (if the flop was AQx, it would have been even better for him.)

Since you only have a pair and there's no obvious draws, many would argue to keep the pot smaller:

You could bet $2 on the flop. On the turn, I would follow up with a 1/2 pot bet (which would have been around $3). At the higher limits... they're not afraid to check a turn.

When he called your $6 turn bet... you had to be a little wary.

By the river... if you're going to bet, put him all in. Though in this case, I'm not sure how you could bet it. The only thing you're beating is a weaker queen or an underpair.

If he thought you missed the flop and called with an 8 or a 2... he's got a fullhouse. If he's semidecent, the only other thing that makes much sense is a slowplayed overpair.

Do 1/2 pot bet pot throughout which would have made the pot smaller and easier to get away from. Also, if he saw you weren't going to play it fast, he might have shown more aggression, in which case might at least know he might have a monster and then decide how to proceed from there.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:59 PM

I disagree that villain has shown no strength. Calling down potsize bets on completely drawless boards shows a lot of strength.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:15 PM

I agree with Xorbie 100 % with that. I just don't agree with folding AA preflop.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Xorbie 100 % with that. I just don't agree with folding AA preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yeah you can never rely on those aces...
Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM

I think the only problem is the preflop raise. AQo in EP is not really a good hand to be playing a raised pot with and even more not a hand you want to build a pot with a mediocre raise. Generally I call, and try to play a small pot with it OR I raise a little bit more and play it fast on the flop and slow way the hell down if I get called unless I know the other guy is an idiot.

The other thing about being in such bad position is that you aren't in any place to get a cheap showdown. You have to check first. AQo would be a lot stronger if you were the button, and could fire on the flop and then check behind him on the turn.