Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Techie Advice - Poker Laptop

So I'm ready to splurge on a laptop that will be 100% dedicated to poker, wireless surfing, and watching DVDs.

Any thoughts, recommendations on specs & brands I should look into would be greatly appreciated. I'd love a mac, but posts on SoftPC leave me thinking my $ is better spent in PC land.

I'd spend as little as $1,000 (if it would do the job ) or over $2,000-$3,000 if the extra goodies seem worth the investment. (I usually play 3 tables on Party, and some kind folks there were kind enough to finance this little extravagance for me.)

Thanks,
J

Old 09-23-2003, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Techie Advice - Poker Laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron at work and it is the best laptop I've ever owned. As a comparison, I've previously owned them by Compaq, HP, and Gateway and I wouldn't buy any of those again based on my previous experience with them.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:55 AM

Just make sure to get a screen that doest at least 1280x1024, preferrably much more. This will enable you to play many screens at once, hopefully without any overlapping.

Monitor slickdeals.net, techbargains.com, and techdeals.net for good laptop deals.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:02 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Remeber 1600x1200 on the display. That likely means a 15" or better panel. This is important because you want to see all the action at one time on party.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Recommendations from a techie

My advice, first and foremost buy the "business-class" machine for whatever manufacturer you're looking at. The lower end machines aren't as well supported, and have fewer production controls, which can lead to an aggravating experience. Secondly, look for a nice big screen. All the displays on major manufacturer laptops are adaquate in terms of brightness, so you really just need to look at physical size and resolution. Lastly, if you want nice long battery life (and a laptop that doesn't double as an easy-bake oven) look for a centrino model.

IBM ThinkPads are the best laptops on the market at the moment. They're extraordinarily reliable and can be had in nearly any configuration you'd like. They cost a little more than other laptops, but they're worth it.

Dell Latitudes and Precisions are good quality laptops, Inspirons are very hit or miss, as they're built with significantly lower quality parts. I have a grudge against Dell because they screw resellers like myself, but I'll admit that Latitudes and Precisions are good machines, though not as sturdy as ThinkPads.

Compaq EVO series laptops are solid, but I don't think they have any higher-res displays available. I could be wrong on that, though.

Personally, my pet peeve is that there are no semi-reasonably priced laptops with transflective displays (allows the display to be seen clearly in direct sunlight, as well as indoors), but so you know, if you're planning on pokering from your back yard, you'll need a shaded area.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Recommendations from a techie

[ QUOTE ]
I have a grudge against Dell because they screw resellers like myself

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:03 PM

Be sure to check out the FUJITSU LifeBook.

Once you look at the screen, you will never lood at another laptop again!

I purchased mine two days ago...14.1 screen, maybe bigger, dvdread write drive, 512 single chip...expandable to at least a GIG of ram without having to remove any chips, wireless capable without any configuring, 60 GIG hard drive and 64 med of dedicated Radeoon video memory.

I got mine for $1725 plus, of course, the $200 service loaner contract at Frys Electronics.

Like I said, once you see the screen, you will never settle for anything else.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:26 PM

I agree with the poster who suggested the Dell Inspiron. That's what I have and it's sweet. With two batteries I can go for about 5-6 hours before I run out of juice.

Also, IMHO the high end screen (I forget what it's called, but it's the best one you can buy) is worth it. I can run 1600 x 1200 and it is crystal clear (better than my CRT at the same resolution).

One thing I'd recommend...you can get really burned on memory buying it directly from dell. The better option is to just take whatever base memory they offer and then go to crucial and buy whatever you need and install it yourself. This probably voids your warranty, but I'm not one for extended warranties either.

jHE
Old 09-23-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Recommendations from a techie

Let's say Dell has a desktop that's selling for $1000. They'll only give me about a 5% discount on these lower-end machines, so I'm getting it for $950. Now let's say I quote it to the customer as a $960 machine, giving me a whopping $10 of profit on that item, seems like a pretty good deal.

The customer can then fax my quote to Dell, WITH my letterhead, and they'll beat the price substantially, actually offering the customer a lower price than they'll offer me.

On the other hand Compaq is the epitome of the friendly supplier. If anybody undercuts my price on a Compaq, I can then fill out some paperwork to get special pricing, below my normal rates, so that I can, at worst, match that price.

This is why resellers don't like Dell. They don't even give us the option of taking a zero-profit sale, they force us to either lose the business, or lose money on the business. Very raw deal.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:00 PM

With most of the major venders this will not void your warranty. If you have any questions on that call their customer service line and ask, I'm willing to bet your all good.

The only vendor I know that use to void service was Apple, but I'm not sure that's true anymore either.