Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Huge stack vs aggressive Chip Leader (Party 500k).

This has been bothering me quite a bit. How would you guys play this?

Last night's 500k on Party. We're down to about 150 players & I have the 7th largest stack at 65k. The Chip Leader is 3 seats to my left w/ 100k+. The 2 of us dwarf the rest of the table.
Now the chip leader has already come over the top of my PFR 3 times, with me folding each time. We've been playing together for about an hour, and he knows that of all the people at the table, he has the most power over me, since I have the most to lose. He uses this to his advantage well.

So up comes this hand:

Hero: 65000
Villain: 100000+

Blinds 1000/2000

[A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
6 folds
Hero raises from the CO to 5000
2 folds
BB raises to 11500
Hero. . . ?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Huge stack vs aggressive Chip Leader (Party 500k).

Were all his reraises similar to this one? Where he only doubled your raise? Depending on what he's done in the past hour and especially how he's moved over the top of you I definitely am looking to double through him however not with this hand. Based on the info you gave me I would fold it PF. My second option would be to take a flop. But moving in PF with AJ is scary to me. When I move in with these hands in LP it seems I will be shown ak or better everytime. You've got about 30bb if u fold this pf and maybe your table breaks soon so you can compile some chips without having to stick your neck out everytime you make a raise.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM

If he's done this to me 3 times already, then I'm not raising his BB here without a hand that I'm ready to push over his reraise with. What was your plan when you raised?

Given your desciption of the last hour, this might not be a bad hand to go to war with. After all, he knows that you've folded 3 times now and a re-reraise push represents a very strong hand.

One of the things I'd base this decision on is how long was left till the table broke. If I'm on table 14 with 150 left, I might pass this one up. If I'm on table 5, then I'm going to have to tangle with him sooner or later...

Looking at the exact numbers again, his reraise almost looks like it's begging for a call. What were his other reraises like? Were they about the same relative size, or were they larger (i.e., designed to push you out of the pot)?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Were all his reraises similar to this one? Where he only doubled your raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

small reraise twice
pushed once

[ QUOTE ]
You've got about 30bb if u fold this pf and maybe your table breaks soon so you can compile some chips without having to stick your neck out everytime you make a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were on Table #2. . . so it looked like I was gonna have to deal with him for a while [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 05:37 PM

nothing wrong with taking a flop here. i dont like pushing, as it nullifies position, and he could have AJ beat. has he called large reraises before? if he hasnt, i still think its a call, maybe you turn a flush draw, or jack high flop. id be wary of an A high flop tho, as AQ, AK or definite possibilities. Would this opponent lay down AQ if you reraised him over half his stack?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothing wrong with taking a flop here.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed. AJ suited can win you a nice size pot here, but can also be dumped rather easily.
Tell me you flopped the nut flush and he doubled you up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's done this to me 3 times already, then I'm not raising his BB here without a hand that I'm ready to push over his reraise with. What was your plan when you raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan was to push, although once confronted with the decision it wasn't so easy. I did ultimately push though.

[ QUOTE ]
Given your desciption of the last hour, this might not be a bad hand to go to war with. After all, he knows that you've folded 3 times now and a re-reraise push represents a very strong hand.

One of the things I'd base this decision on is how long was left till the table broke. If I'm on table 14 with 150 left, I might pass this one up. If I'm on table 5, then I'm going to have to tangle with him sooner or later...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.
Like I said, we were on Table 2, so I felt like I had to send him the message that I wasn't going to roll over for him.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothing wrong with taking a flop here. i dont like pushing, as it nullifies position, and he could have AJ beat. has he called large reraises before? if he hasnt, i still think its a call, maybe you turn a flush draw, or jack high flop. id be wary of an A high flop tho, as AQ, AK or definite possibilities. Would this opponent lay down AQ if you reraised him over half his stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

But if I see a flop, he's going to lead for the pot. . . I've seen him do this multiple times already. This will allow him to push me off any flop that I whiff. Realizing that he had a very large range of reraising hands here (quite possibly any 2) I felt like getting all my chips in the middle w/ what was quite possibly the best hand.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:13 PM

no empirical evidence but a lot of times I've been popped by the blinds it more often a huge hand than air. I agree take a flop but being a MTT donk I'd like to know on which scenarios you're willing to commit most if not all your chips

a) a J high flop
b) flopping an A
c) a flush draw
d) flopping a J but with one other facecard
Old 11-21-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Tell me you flopped the nut flush and he doubled you up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. . . alas. If that were the case, I would have dubbed myself a poker genius and wouldn't need to come ask for advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Villain instacalled my push w/ KK and although the flop teased me with a gutshot, it wasn't to be.