Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 06:38 PM

Default $2/4 time to fold an overpair? or am i weak tight here...

I have 99 in LP

four people limp, i call, button calls and the big blind raises, one of the EP limpers fold, the rest call, 6 to the flop, pot is @13 SBs

flop comes out 2 4 7, two clubs (i do not have the 9c)

checked to me, i check also, button bets, the BB raises (hmmmm...) and two more players cold call the raise.

I think about three-betting... i think about calling... i decide to fold it, thinking that i'm gonna end up looking at JJ or TT more often than not, and there are probably a lot of draws out (any overcard pretty much ruins my hand)...

weak tight?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: $2/4 time to fold an overpair? or am i weak tight here...

raise preflop
Old 09-28-2005, 06:44 PM

The pot is really big, but like you said I think you are behind a ton here. Plus if you call, you're looking at putting in 3 more BB's. Your effective odds aren't great, I think I'm going to fold this to, unless I have a specific read on the BB.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:47 PM

I think you should lead the flop, really. Mostly this is for value, since it won't do a whole lot to protect your hand. And usually you won't win the pot either, but I think you'll win more than your share.

Anyway, after you checked, I think you should call two more back to you.

Possibly BB has a very strong hand, such as AA or a set of sevens. Or he might have been checkraising because he though Button's bet was a weak stab at the pot and BB felt he could chase people away and win unimproved with his AK.

Anyway, I don't really know what BB (or anyone else in the hand) has, but I do think there's a decent chance you're ahead at the moment.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:00 PM

i think you need to bet the flop, why are you giving everyone a chance at a free card, you dont want to check-raise button, that just puts everyone in the middle, does nothing to protect your hand, the way you played it, it looks like the BB has something strong, i dont know if i fold just yet tho
Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should lead the flop, really. Mostly this is for value, since it won't do a whole lot to protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back at the hand, i aggree that i should have led at the flop- to protect my hand...

given that the BB is aggressive and will raise with AK or something like that, i should've bet out and let him protect my hand for me.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I don't really know what BB (or anyone else in the hand) has, but I do think there's a decent chance you're ahead at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that there was about a 50-50 chance that i was ahead on the flop, but that's not really the point- do i have enough equity in this situation to justify calling two bets cold and then probably putting in two more BBs on the turn and river? i think that with a couple of cold-callers in front of me, there was likely at least one club draw out there, as well as a bunch of overcards- the chance of me eing ahead by the end was probably not good enough to justify a call.

This is the kind of hand that's really easier to play from EP, giving me more options to protect the hand- failng to bet out took that option away, so i am instead going to be in a pot here i am very slightly ahead or way, way behind, so i folded.

thoughts on betting out with the expectation of a raise, that is, using an aggressive player to help p[rotect this marginal holding?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

no.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt that there was about a 50-50 chance that i was ahead on the flop, but that's not really the point- do i have enough equity in this situation to justify calling two bets cold and then probably putting in two more BBs on the turn and river? i think that with a couple of cold-callers in front of me, there was likely at least one club draw out there, as well as a bunch of overcards- the chance of me eing ahead by the end was probably not good enough to justify a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Button may slow down after having been checkraised on the flop. Then again, someone else may wake up on the turn, depending on what falls and what cards people have. (Also, it's possible someone is slowplaying a set.)

I agree that it's not a comfortable situation. And your position isn't so great either. (There is potential for you to get trapped for bets on an installment plan.) But the pot is pretty big, and I don't think I'd be ready to give up yet.

That doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to showdown, though. For instance, if a third club fell on the turn (or, say, an ace or a king), and there was a bet and raise before the action got to me, then I would fold. I'd probably fold to a single bet on an ace or king, actually, and I might give up for a single turn bet if anyone woke up on a third club, too.

[ QUOTE ]
thoughts on betting out with the expectation of a raise, that is, using an aggressive player to help protect this marginal holding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a great idea if it'll work. I don't think most 2/4 players will checkraise such a large field with AK (without a flush draw, anyway), but if this BB will, then that's good for you.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:10 PM

Hit it a lick preflop.
Bet the flop.