Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Newbie confused by AQ in Ed Miller\'s starting hand advice

SSHE, pages 82/83 - Ed Miller's starting hand advice for Loose Games.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Ed Miller's saying that if I'm holding AQ in middle position, and there's a raise in front of me, I should re-raise. But if the same thing happens when I'm in late position, I should only call the raise.

Am I reading this right? And if I am, is there someone who can explain to me why I should act weaker when I'm in late position? I would have thought the advantage of being in late position would have made it OK to re-raise from there, too.

Not trying to pick holes in Ed Miller's advice - I'm sure if that's what he says, then it's very sound advice - it's just that I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the game, and I want to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing, if that makes sense.

Many thanks.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Newbie confused by AQ in Ed Miller\'s starting hand advice

Because by raising in middle position, half the table has to call two bets cold, and you might eliminate some people from seeing the flop.

In late position, any one who has already called the raise isn't going to fold to one more additional bet.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Newbie confused by AQ in Ed Miller\'s starting hand advice

As Miller states in his book people pay too much attention to their starting requirements (charts). When he says play in the book he means either call or raise.

Example: You're in middle position with QJs and no one has entered the pot yet. Even though the book says call you should raise. Also in the example of AQo, if you're on the button and someone in late middle position or cutoff opens with a steal raise you should reraise with the AQo rather than just call.

To get a better idea of how to diverge from the set rules of the SSHE starting charts read the preflop section of HEPFAP.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help, guys.
Much appreciated.