Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM

Default I\'m a heads up dumbass. Please help

So I feel like I ve been losing money by finishing 2nd in Party Poker single tables and multitables. Okay, you cannot lose money because you never had it (i got into a big debate with my roomate) , but everytime i feel like i should get first, i screw it up and i miss out on some cash. Basically, here are some hands from my recent $5 + 1 Sng. This happens all the time in multitables too. Any comments about these hands and some general comments, i.e starting hand requirements, when too push, etc. would be appreciated. I knew i was better than this player. Hell, he didnt even want first. One hand he was like, "well I'm happy with second so I'll call." Pisses me off. Thanks for help

Blinds $200-400

1.Hero on the button $6215 with K5o
Villian $1785

What do you do? I pushed. Is K5o too crappy?

2. Blinds 200/400

Hero on the button $4430 with QJo
villian $2970

I push again. Seemed liked QJ is strong enough.

Basically, these hands probably dont do justice to how bad i suck heads up because i think i played them right. However, i would like any pointers, strategies, general guidelines, whatever. Thanks for any help
Old 06-29-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: I\'m a heads up dumbass. Please help

I see nothing wrong with the 2 examples you posted...althought they ARE only 2 examples.

Do you play "push a strong hand, fold a weak hand" or do you like to see flops? Do you bluff much?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Yeah i lost in three hands so I was a little short on examples. I usually raise any face from the button with a chip lead. I also hardly ever just complete the blind unless my opponent is real aggressive and might come over the top. Fold crap and push strong hands, i dont see the point in seeing flops with junk.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:07 PM

You will probably get a better response if you take this over to the 1-Table board. Not many people here will feel bad for you if you are busting out second a lot.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:11 PM

I usually wait for Ax or Kx. QJ is too risky.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:13 PM

You should post your entire hand history from the time you are heads up. The first hand is fine, but you are overplaying QJ on the second in regards to the chip sizes.

Heads up is an adjustment to who you are playing and you cant always make one style work. Against an opponent who you feel you can push around pre-flop and make him fold, go that route and raise lots before the flop. If you're against a calling station who isn't going to fold to a raise, then play less agressively pre-flop and value bet the hands you make and give up the ones where he is showing strength with minimal losses. Against an aggressive player, let him win small pots and trap him for big pots.

I know Poker Stars offers heads-up SnG's. That's a great way to improve your HU game.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:14 PM

I do the same in both. Move down one forum and see why.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually wait for Ax or Kx. QJ is too risky.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you fold every hand until you get Ax or Kx? Blind away much?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Both pushes look fine to me. Just ran them through ICM and it says to push them both as well.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:44 PM

"I know Poker Stars offers heads-up SnG's. That's a great way to improve your HU game. "

This is great advice. If you want to improve you are going to have to get used to taking flops OOP, and work on bluffing, reading, and pot control, etc (most of the skills that lead to a successful poker player).

The results of pushing against a player that has 4-7XBB, in an accelerated blind format, are uninteresting and belong in a different forum.