Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: giants BSP this week?

[ QUOTE ]
1. are those picks in green those which have one side being preferred by 60%+ of the public?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the FAQ linked on said page:
The Wagerline "All Players" consensus shows the number of picks in the cash contests made by all players. If the percentage of picks exceeds 59%, the game is highlighted in green.

[ QUOTE ]
2. is there any evidence that the trend is more/less effective when the public is more overwhelmingly (say 70%+ or more) in favor of one side?

[/ QUOTE ]

all the records are there, it would be a non-trivial exercise to pull these stats.

It's also worth saying that the consensus picks are having their best ATS year ever this year (currently right at 50%).

These numbers are not a meaningful "fade simply because they're green" indicator. what's more useful, IMO, is as an indicator when the public opinion is dramatically one-sided and yet there's been little to no movement in the public line....
Old 11-18-2005, 03:27 PM

I think the classic BSP team this week is Jacksonville. I work with a guy who is Joe Q. NFL Bettor (just the right balance of football knowledge and capping/gambling ignorance) and he told me yesterday JAX is his favorite pick. I muttered something like "uh huh, Titans home after a bye vs. division rival, Bennett back, McNair healthier, Taylor doubtful, Smith questionable- yeah, I definitely like the Jags giving more than a field goal here..."

He scoffed and said all that doesn't matter because (actual quote) "the Jaguars are coming together as a team, the Titans are falling apart. Easy 4 point cover."

Gold, I'm telling you.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like everyone I know is all over this one, which has me realllly wary.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am on the eagles +7.5 -105