Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Default SB vs. BB PF.

PP 1/2, you have K7o in the SB, BB is fairly loose-passive (say 35/5/1) but defends his BB more than half the time. Folded around to you, what's the play? What if you have a random weak ace?

I feel like I'm spewing more than I should, particularly because I'm OOP with no way of defining the BB's holdings, but I'm assuming these are profitable situations against a random hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: SB vs. BB PF.

I'm not doing the same thing every time, but I'm generally playing the hand. Raise/lead the flop and call/lead the flop are two lines I use a lot.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:29 PM

I'm playing the micros, so I don't get many attempts to steal... but I think with a king I give it a shot. If I miss the flop, I fold to any aggression and go about my business.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:32 PM

loose-passives i just complete with a lot of weak holdings especially if i have a great handle on him postflop. they don't "punish" or play position by raising, so you can see the flop cheapily getting 3-1.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:37 PM

I think my problem is that I know my hand has an equity edge over a random hand, but if I raise, I'm laying the BB 3:1 on a call in position, and the BB would be correct in calling with almost all random hands.

If I limp, I don't win the BB the 45% of the time villain folds.

Do I tighten up my stealing range?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
loose-passives i just complete with a lot of weak holdings especially if i have a great handle on him postflop. they don't "punish" or play position by raising, so you can see the flop cheapily getting 3-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, limping seems easiest. What if the villain is more LAGgy post-flop?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:49 PM

mostly I would raise here, but not all the time. Lead on the flop.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, limping seems easiest. What if the villain is more LAGgy post-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean LP preflop and LAG post? my opinion right now: i play preflop the same.

basically the key to playing postflop against LAGs (to me) is to think "i'll let him win small pots even if he is bluffing this time" or you'll pay a lot for suckouts or worse hands. i let him bluff at me by check/calling if i have 2nd and sometimes 3rd pair, and almost never semi-bluff without a real strong draw. i don't play fancy. if i have a strong hand, i slam the petal to the floor. i want him paying me off (because he will) the recoup for the times he miraculously wins.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Preflop in SB against a LP in BB (like those acronyms [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]):

you are risking the most preflop by raising. with weak holdings, you are sacrificing your tiny preflop edge by raising and giving it to BB who is now getting 3-1, will defend liberally, and was willing to give you a cheap look at the flop.

you aren't winning as much as you think. basically, you can an extra sb the times you raise preflop and bet the flop and he folds. you aren't folding a better hand or "ooh look i bluffed him off with my aggression": HE DIDN'T HAVE A FRICKIN' HAND ANYWAYS. BUT, you WILL pay a lot postflop when you continue your bluffing or semi-bluffing and he simply calls you down.

what i'm saying is if you have a LP in BB, sacrifice your small preflop edge and simply complete. then push your postflop edge when he calls you down with 2nd pair and you have 2 pair or TP. it really is that simple against ABC passive players.

But by all means if you have JT or suited connectors: raise. this is merely for weak holdings. i complete with Q8o, T7, no gap offsuits (ie 87), and crap like that where if i hit, i win, if the flop is really ugly (an Ace or all low cards) i may put in some money figuring he may fold or if he hit i have 6 outs anyways to hit on the turn.

but if i have Q8 and the flop comes KT6: check/fold. he'll give you a free turn card a bunch, plus if he has a T, you only have ~3.5 outs or K you're hand is over.

a flop of A73, i'll put in money because i may have 6 outs to a better hand and he might fold when he sees the Ace. (this might be too long, but i'm bored at work [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])
Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM

I'm pretty much calling pf and leading any flop (depending on the opponent). It works enough to be profitable. Some times the LP player folds and the other times you flop something. IIRC http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/i...eetin1105.html this article contains usefull stuff.