Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: floped a set...time to get paid

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he has an overpair then what's wrong with calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely nothing.

Most of the time I would call, but OP gives no read on villain, so I tend to post based on what I have seen lately, which has been aggressive donks thinking I am making a play more than smart thinking players [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If OP had said villain was solid, then I would say call.

[/ QUOTE ]

your advice is a bit confusing...If MP2 doesn't have anything I minraise he would have to be an absolute MANIAC to push bluff. The only way I am getting any more money if he has AK is if he bluffs or if he catches an A or a K on the turn.

I assumed he had an overpair here, (if he has 2 overcards calling as opposed to raising is even better) although maybe he could be overly aggro with AK. I figured if I just called it would look like QQ/maybe AJ (if he doesn't know I'd fold it pf.) + could maybe get donkey minraiser to stay in with AJ or something.

Villian actually folded turn and I was really curious what he had. If he was a very good player he would know I probably had a set here, since I wouldn't play anything else like this (although others would).

If I was villian I would probably play it exactly the same way he did with an overpair or with AK (cept I'd raise more pf).
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your advice is a bit confusing...If MP2 doesn't have anything I minraise he would have to be an absolute MANIAC to push bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said someone would either fold or push, it was in response your statement about wanting the other two to come along, it was not about MP2. See below:

[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning for just calling flop was to try and get money in from the other two guys [ QUOTE ]
There aren't any draws, with that action you are usually getting folds or a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at the preflop action, it is reasonable to put MP2 on AA-JJ and AK.

If villain has an overpair, he is not folding to a minraise. Your bet could easily look like you had top pair or were just contesting his continuation bet.

If villain has AK, yeah, he might fold to your minraise on the flop, however, I see it all the time where someone does a continuation bet in early position, a late position player weak raises, and the EP player calls with nothing but overcards.

However, I rarely see someone in early position bet with AK, get a call, then comes a blank turn, they check, the late position player bets, and they call.

I am simply going by my observations, I will see people call a raise behind on the flop if they lead with overs, but I don't see them check a blank turn and then call a bet.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:25 AM

Allright, thanks for your observations. I guess I see people calling min raises with overs but usually not a $30 raise.

I appreiciate all the time you have put into this hand/
Old 12-19-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I see people calling min raises with overs but usually not a $30 raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

A full raise of 30 is a bit high, 15-20 then.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I see people calling min raises with overs but usually not a $30 raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

A full raise of 30 is a bit high, 15-20 then.

[/ QUOTE ]

$30 is minimum I can raise man.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 AM

Hero played this fine IMO. Flop is pretty dry. I woulda bet a little more on the turn though, like 65-70.

Hero said he wanted to keep others in, and his flop call does just that. He didnt want to isolate, so he made a read about what he though was best and chose the best line to do so.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 AM

tough to jam that flop without saying, 'please fold your overpair, i REALLY HAVE A SET"
Old 12-19-2005, 05:04 PM

looks like your flop call kind of slowed him down.. i dont mind the bet at all on the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:11 PM

this thread is really confusing.

as it is, if you think he has an OP then i:
call flop
2/3rds the pot or raise A-I on turn.
if i've still got money its going in on river
Old 12-19-2005, 05:16 PM

I raise flop to 100 but they way you played it is OK too since there is no flush draw. But I still dont like it becuase some1 may call with gutshot and stack you.