Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Quirky blind steal battle - A9o

5/10 6-max (4-handed)

Hero is Button and open-raises A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. 64/23 BB calls. I have good stats on Villain. Like most 64/23's he is a big LAG postflop but the street-by-street stats show that he isn't at all typical. Most of his peers bet a lot and raise not so much. This player bets somewhat less than you would expect but is a heavy raiser on all streets and a heavy checkraiser on the flop and turn. He also folds considerably less than his peer group.

Anyway, flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Check, bet, checkraise, and Hero calls. 4 BB to the turn.

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving me a gutshot to the straight flush. Villain checks and Hero ???.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Quirky blind steal battle - A9o

He could be going for another CR, I think it seems obvious to take the free card. I only play .5/1, so take my advice with a grain of salt (or less).
Old 12-18-2005, 02:45 AM

Is villain the type of player to pull off two checkraises in a row? These players are pretty rare to me. The question is whether we think we can value bet or not. I can see villain calling with low hearts, a couple gutshots, and other hands we beat. He doesn't fold much so I think we need to value bet the turn here. If he had a hand that beats us he would have continued betting.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:47 AM

Easy question that your making complex, bet again.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:53 AM

I'd check and call any river. The only reason to bet here is that you thing he's so bad that you want to put two in on the turn because, from what you described, he's CR'ing a ton here.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:59 AM

If you have good stats then either you havent seem him CR twice and then you should bet, otherwise check.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:04 AM

He's probably only c/r with better hands, so we can c/f this river if we miss.

Its a pretty clear bet for me, I think we're ahead a lot, and when we're not we have some good outs. If he check-raises with anything (and I mean anything), then its a little bit different.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:05 AM

I'm checking behind here and check/calling the river UI. If you didn't have a gutshot or a straight draw I'd be much more inclined to bet here, but you dont wanna pay two to see a river. Your hand is probably good, he might have 6 outs, but you could also be drawing to 3. Just get to the showdown as cheaply as possible here until you improve.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's probably only c/r with better hands, so we can c/f this river if we miss.

Its a pretty clear bet for me, I think we're ahead a lot, and when we're not we have some good outs. If he check-raises with anything (and I mean anything), then its a little bit different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a bet gets much (if any) value. Any that we do gain is offset by inducing a bluff and what we pick up when he whiffs a C/R and we improve.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:13 AM

Your giving him all the control in his hand, he's always going to be betting the river with better hands and checking through worse ones.

This is exactly why I hate taking my foot off the peddle, his little flop charade is not going to give him the hand; but thats just me.