Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 05:16 PM

Default KK early in Stars 500k

Still getting used to some tourney strategy, this is how I would have played it in a cash game most likely, not positive though. For the most part when we have 100xBB stacks early on I am playing the tournies like cash games...does anyone do anything different here, and if so why (b/c this is a tourney or just in general), thanks.

10/20 with 2.5k stacks.

3 limpers to MP who makes it 120, I make it 400 with KK, folded to mp who calls.

Flop Q73r

check, check

turn 5,

MP bets somewhere between 3-400, I call

River brick

MP bets 600, I call.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: KK early in Stars 500k

why no raise on the turn or river? surely worse hands will pay you off.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:28 PM

Doubt any worse hands call a reraise on the turn or river.

What do you have in mind?

Villain is on TT-AA.

You're ahead of TT/JJ, but what kind of player is calling a check/raise at this stage, with 2nd pair, and tons of strength shown by opponent?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the most part when we have 100xBB stacks early on I am playing the tournies like cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, but generally keep in mind that the players are worse. Also keep in mind you dont have a long time to play with these stacks, so a little more aggresive than a normal cash game strategy might be optimal. Dont go nuts or anything, but err on the side of gamble on close decisions.

As for the hand, there are a bunch of options, but that line is certainly a good one (provided that if it was checked to you on the river your were planning on value betting)
Old 10-16-2005, 07:36 PM

Qx's call it, and would have played it similarly, he checked behind so we didnt get to see if they were planning on checkraising.

I think you can get some more value out on the river. Though i suppose you could be beaten.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:39 PM

If it checks to me on river I'm definitely value betting, unless it's a very good or very tight player. As it stands, I think in a cash game I would lay down to the river bet, here I didn't just cause I thought his player sucked...
Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 PM

i'm confused, you'e giving him credit for QQ/AA that easily? or in a cash game you are?

Sorry, care to explain taht? Cause i don't get it.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it checks to me on river I'm definitely value betting, unless it's a very good or very tight player. As it stands, I think in a cash game I would lay down to the river bet, here I didn't just cause I thought his player sucked...

[/ QUOTE ]

You do control the pot nicely but I wouldve bet the flop for sure or at least raised the turn, I think you lost signifigant value here against the average players range/ability.

I've seen KQ and even QJ get stacked on the flop here in these tournies.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:12 PM

I am with Exit. I dont play cash game NL, but I cannot beleive you would have layed down an overpair so easily. You can definitely get more value out of this hand. I think its safe to assume early in tourneys, that your opponents suck and will pay you off with mediocre hands.

C-Dog
Old 10-16-2005, 09:45 PM

Im betting the flop here to see where Im at. Checking will leave too many unanswered questions. I want to narrow down his holdings after seeing him raise preflop and call a decent sized reraise.

Given the way you played the flop, Im just calling the turn. Hes not making this bet with a draw ... he either has an overpair (way behind) a queen with a weak kicker (way ahead) or a set. An underpair is also rathe likley (way ahead). On the river, I think another flat call is in order. Im definitley to raising, but Im definitley not folding either.

Heres my hand range for him on the river ...

55+,33,QJs,QJo. Your equity against this hand range is 69.6%. I didnt include KQ or AQ becuase I thought he would have led the flop.