Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: New Car, $50K-60K

and hes probably not even factoring in the TVM and future growth.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was always a fan of the BMW 330ci coupe. I dont own one, but Ive always had a soft spot for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

those cars are extra ragged. the maintainence on BMW's is unreal. plus shop time is like 150 bucks an hour....do yourself a favor and do not buy this car.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive owned a pre-owned m3 for almost 2 years not and have yet to have to do a "major" repair on it yet, only thing that ive had to redo is the brakes which after all said and done was only around 900...so the upkeep on these cars arent what everyone blows them up to be
Old 10-06-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was always a fan of the BMW 330ci coupe. I dont own one, but Ive always had a soft spot for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

those cars are extra ragged. the maintainence on BMW's is unreal. plus shop time is like 150 bucks an hour....do yourself a favor and do not buy this car.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive owned a pre-owned m3 for almost 2 years not and have yet to have to do a "major" repair on it yet, only thing that ive had to redo is the brakes which after all said and done was only around 900...so the upkeep on these cars arent what everyone blows them up to be

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, only spending 900 bucks on a break job is a great deal.

Swede
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM

How about 86 Buick (or similar older model vehicle) tricked out to the nines a la Pimp My Ride? Just a thought.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lotus Elise, and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. All the reviews i've read of it say that it wipes the floor with its more expensive rivals.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and hes probably not even factoring in the TVM and future growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the straight truth.

take 50K. say you buy a BMW. well, you drive it out of the lot and it had lost value. then since you are young you will be paying a premium on insurance. add in the possibility of expensive repairs and the actual cost comes to well over 50K, and you are getting an asset in return which is guaranteed to be worth considerably less than 50K.

now say you invest that 50K... you will gain money... and then you will gain money on the money that you gain... and so on.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:06 PM

$39,500
Old 10-06-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now say you invest that 50K... you will gain money... and then you will gain money on the money that you gain... and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]
what if you drive a 56K car but you also have money that you invest. basically what if you can afford it and the nice car is actually practical and well within reach? are you saying that even if you can afford a nice car you should drive a cheaper car b/c its a waste of money?

i think life is too short to worry about the difference of 30K.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, only spending 900 bucks on a break job is a great deal.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasnt just the breaks...it was with a few other things too...im sayin the 900 is the only upkeep ive done besides oil changes and tires on it
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
what if you drive a 56K car but you also have money that you invest. basically what if you can afford it and the nice car is actually practical and well within reach? are you saying that even if you can afford a nice car you should drive a cheaper car b/c its a waste of money?

i think life is too short to worry about the difference of 30K.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying "never buy a 50K car". Not at all. But I think most young people (not that I'm anywhere near old) don't really how much that car will actually cost. There are a lot of young poker players (I know several personally) who want to and are buying 50K cars and it's a monumentally stupid decision. The dynamics of having poker as an income are unique, but regardless.

If you want to buy a nice car, can afford it, and have money to invest as well, more power to you. Enjoy the ride. But there are a lot of young people who shouldnt be spending that much on cars. You do see my point about how for a lot of young people dont realize how expensive it is and shouldnt do it?