Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 05:58 AM

Default What to do with Pocket Queens from the BB???

Let me give you a little bit of a backdrop, I entered a $1/$2 room with about $150 in chips, I got down to about $110 by making a few raises which I had to fold to reraises. Than I began to catch cards like you rarely catch, in only 39 hands I saw Pocket Kings twice, Pocket Queens 3 times, A-K twice, A-9, pocket 9's, and I think one other hand that was good like A-Q or something, it was unreal.

So in that time I was raising alot and winning alot, one hand I was called with Pocket Queens all in when I had the overpair to the board, so did my caller, he had pocket Jacks, I moved up to $400 in chips (roughly) Than I got caught making a semi-bluff raise to which one short stack went all in with pocket 10's I called and lost and my stack went down to $310 in chips about.

I had about the same amount when I was dealt Pocket Queens (again) in the BB. One player raised to $8 and one player behind him called the $8, I quickly raised to $24 (hoping I would get one caller) I got more than that I got reraised to $66, and he did it fairly quickly. That made me think he did it maybe out of frustration that I had been raising so much lately, I thought about it for a second, in the back of my mind I was thinking what could he have that would make him raise to $66 almost 3 times my reraise, I thought maybe he had pocket Aces or Kings but thought it unlikely, I mean it's not that often that Aces are up against Queens or Kings against Aces or Queens either. So I thought I most likely had the best hand and I went all in for a total of $308 (nearly 90% of his stack), thinking even if he had Pocket Kings he'd have to figure me for Aces and might lay it down, maybe. He called instantly which let me know he had Aces and even though I flopped a Queen, there was an Ace on the flop, on the Turn a King so I figured I was dead in the water. When he turned over pocket Aces I was a little crushed, but I figured I played this hand the right way.

Don't you have to try and get all in preflop if you can heads up with Pocket Queens???

What do you all think? You'd worry about pocket Kings and Aces but enough to fold???

Plus does anyone know any information about what the percentages are against you having Pocket Queens or Kings at a 9 person table and someone else having a higher pocket pair??? please let me know if you do and where I can go to find that out.

Thanks,

Joshua
Old 12-23-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: What to do with Pocket Queens from the BB???

All in is pretty bad here. You let him off with anything you beat, and he instacalls with AA/KK. Call and move in on any flop if you think you're good.

Against most players, though, this is an easy PF laydown.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you have to try and get all in preflop if you can heads up with Pocket Queens???

[/ QUOTE ]
Hell no.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:20 AM

thunder. . .if you ARE ahead with QQ, you aren't going to win anymore from a lesser hand by pushing. If you think you are good call and then c/r the flop.

As it is though, there are very few opponents who I don't fold to here. He raised, then re-re-raised, do you really think QQ is good? Definitely fold.

As for your percentage question, I want to say that if you have KK full ring it's around 3.8% that someone has AA, so QQ would be up against KK or AA more often, but I could be totally wrong, someone else should fill in on this.

Try to use a few more symbols and such and less text in your future posts, and you'll be sure to get more responses.

GL my friend.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus does anyone know any information about what the percentages are against you having Pocket Queens or Kings at a 9 person table and someone else having a higher pocket pair??? please let me know if you do and where I can go to find that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I cant help you with that number. But I can tell you that in the hand you posted, given the preflop action, the chances of you being dominated after he called your push were something like 85%.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 12-23-2005, 01:40 PM

Will do, only I'm not sure what symbols I should use, what is full ring for instance???

I think you guys are right, I probably should have just smooth called, but I did not because it was a quick fire fire situation, i wanted him to think I was acting irrationally, and that i was trying to "buy" the pot.

Also the flop made me feel better because it was Q,A,7 so not only I flopped a set but he did also, had I called, I would have been first to bet, I would have raised, he would have reraised, and I would have moved all in for sure, to which I still would have lost all my money, but it is a good point about just calling in the future.

If anyone looks at this post again, Considering in my first post all of the great hands I caught and how much I was raising the pot and taking it down and how i had just been caught bluffing, is it not a good idea to ever push all in here quickly and try and give the opponent the idea you are trying to steal the pot with any two cards?