Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Are small live tournaments easier than online??

I've played around 300 tournaments online, mostly $20-$50 with a dozen $100+ thrown in. I've won 2 pure MTTs (and a couple DSs and such), and the fields were around 200 people in the ones that I won. FTed a little over a dozen, incl. some 500+ entrant tournaments. I consider myself a good player.

I played my first live tournament the other day. $100 buy-in at the Tampa Hard Rock. Only 57 entrants, but no shortage on donks. In 4 hrs of play I only found 4 players whose play I had to actually respect. I won it going away and was only all-in for all my chips twice in those 4+ hrs.

$10 Stars MTT = $100 live MTT
Old 10-30-2005, 02:26 AM

People tend to play tighter live because they're less likely to be bored and because they're more aware of the money (I'm sure there are other reasons). Since the most common mistake in lower buy-in events is to play way too loosely, this makes live games tougher at low buy-ins.

However, at live games, it's way easier to pick out the donks quickly because usually they'll announce it by saying "you can't win if you fold" or something dumb like that.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:43 AM

The Naples-Ft. Myers Greyhound track has tournaments 4 days a week, and the always sell out. Buy in is $45, $37+$8 rake, avg players around 175. 1000TC to start, 25/50 blinds. Blinds go up every 10 minutes. Players are terrible and who knows what they'll play.

Any wonder why I don't play these anymore?

CJ
Old 10-30-2005, 09:21 AM

That's a HORRID structure Cactus!

[ QUOTE ]
I played my first live tournament the other day. $100 buy-in at the Tampa Hard Rock. Only 57 entrants, but no shortage on donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on the win but that structure SUCKS unless they've changed it. The only worthwhile tourney to play there is the end of the month $500. They run $80 single table sats for it the week before.

When Silks opens in December at Tampa Bay Downs, every nite at 6:30, $45 buy in for T1000, 20 minute rounds, about 100 players. About the best you'll find in the area!
Old 10-30-2005, 02:13 PM

Small live tournaments are easier because you get to see your oppenents.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I played my first live tournament the other day. $100 buy-in at the Tampa Hard Rock. Only 57 entrants, but no shortage on donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on the win but that structure SUCKS unless they've changed it. The only worthwhile tourney to play there is the end of the month $500. They run $80 single table sats for it the week before.

When Silks opens in December at Tampa Bay Downs, every nite at 6:30, $45 buy in for T1000, 20 minute rounds, about 100 players. About the best you'll find in the area!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree. The structure was horrendous. But I had just turned 18 a week earlier and just went with what was available.

For the $100, it's t2500 to start with 25/50 and blinds change every 15 minutes. Within 35-40 minutes post-flop play is effectively over and it becomes a turbo tournament.

The $200 apparently has 20 minute blinds, but I don't know how much of a difference that would make.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:46 PM

im not sure where you play live, or where you play online.
but comparing the two that i play at, the play live is much better than the play online. i will say however, the higher the buy-in the more that changes, and once it does reach the 100-300 buy in level, the caliber online is much better.
maybe this is a rare case.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice! I don't like the tourneys at hard rock (although the donk/shark ratio is in our favor), but those sound like they would interest me. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure is. Not only the structure, but the payout. Only the final table gets paid. I haven't played down there since March, because I realized after a couple that it was a total crapshoot. However, I've got a LOT more playing under my belt now and I might take a shot at them again this week. There is a helluva lot of dead money there.

They've got two on Fridays. I'm off, so I might try 'em out, for grins. Haven't played any live since then. Damn Florida and it's $2 max bet. I much prefer playing live.

CJ