Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Fold My Set?

T10000 to start
Assume villain to be a very good player

Hero T12700 (CO)
Villain T8300 (BB)
50/100 Blinds

Hero dealt 4h4s

Two limpers, hero limps, villain raises to 400, limpers fold, hero calls.

Flop 3h,4c,5h

Villain bets 800, hero raises to 2000, villain calls

Turn Ad

Villain is allin, hero????

My thinking was that he had AK,AQ, or 88-JJ
In retrospect, I'm not so sure my play on the flop was very good.

Would he go all in with TP or 2 pair?
Any chance he played AA this way?

Comments appreciated.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Fold My Set?

I put him on [AA-JJ, AK, AQ]. I think he would just limp with smaller PP and play for set value.

Hard to see how he has a piece of that flop, unless he has AK or AQ of hearts. If I had to narrow it down, that's what I'd put him on. He's got the inside straight draw as well, of course.

He could play AA that way as well, although I'm having trouble with the flat call on the flop in that case, unless he's really sneaky and wanted to gamble.

So, I guess I'd put him on top pair with a strong draw, grit my teeth, and call.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:34 PM

looks like AKh or sumthing, i think i make the call. i dont see him having any hand that has made a str8
Old 10-27-2005, 09:52 PM

AA/AKh/AQh/AJh seems right. Those are the only hands you need to be worried about. Even against this range only you're 42%, so throwing in 10% for bluffs, and xx% for times villain is semi-bluffing but behind and I think you have to call.

I expect the result of this hand to be him holding AA though.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 AM

I call, he has 8s8c, river is an A, and I take it down.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:36 AM

No way you can fold this. He can't have a 2 unless in addition to being very good he's insanely aggressive. Your range of hands seems about right (though if it's AK/AQ I'm guessing they are hearts if he called that flop raise). There's exactly one reasonable hand you can put him on (AA) that is beating you, and tons that you are destroying. Call. I don't think it's close.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:40 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. What do you guys think of my raise to $2000 on the flop?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all of the replies. What do you guys think of my raise to $2000 on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was fine. You certainly don't want to give a free card to an ace on that flop, and if he calls, you can pretty well put him on either some kind of overpair or a flush draw. You get chips into the pot as a very likely favorite and you get some information.

Of course he's going to fold some hands here you'd rather he call with (AQ/AK unsuited), but I don't think you want to get too cute with 3 cards of a wheel on the board.

Also, look what it did to him. From his perspective, you limped something in MP after 2 limpers and then called a raise closing the action (love those EP limpers who then fold for a bet of 4x the BB btw). When you raise the flop, he's probably thinking "overpair" and he probably suspects he might be beaten (and the 2 overpairs to the board that don't beat him both have outs to the straight). When the ace comes out, he figures this is a chance to push you off of your 99/TT. At least, that's my best guess at his reasoning for the push.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:00 AM

I agree. I think I disguised my set reasonably well there.
I probably would have just called the flop if the board had been less coordinated. The other option would have been to push on the flop. I wonder if he would have called that. My guess is that you are right and that he figured representing the A would push me off of my overpair.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I think I disguised my set reasonably well there.
I probably would have just called the flop if the board had been less coordinated. The other option would have been to push on the flop. I wonder if he would have called that. My guess is that you are right and that he figured representing the A would push me off of my overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason I don't really like his move is I'm not sure why he doesn't put you on AK-AJ of hearts there (ok, that would be a pretty weird way to play AKh, but I've certainly seen it done). Perhaps he figures those hands would have just called the flop bet.