Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Im moving up to 10/20 monday god help me

i have played 50k hands of 3/6 and was at 2.5 bb when i moved up to 5/10 where i ahve played 40k hands and im at 1.8bb....come monday if im still above 1.5 bb for 5/10 after 50k hands i will move up to 10/20..my br is over 10k.please read my post "10 poker comandments" top get an idea of how i play...i just wanted to hear any words of wisdom/discouragement/encouragement from the pros...oh yeah i have played 25k hadns of 6 max too just to learn more about heads up play...also what are some general leaks i may have in my game im not aware of?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Im moving up to 10/20 monday god help me

[ QUOTE ]
also what are some general leaks i may have in my game im not aware of?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My Ten Poker Commandments

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[...] god help me

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 PM

huh? im a little slow
Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 PM

They'll steal your blinds a lot more in 10-20. Let them, but play back at then when you have them beat. You've got to earn their respect.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:59 PM

please read my blind defense post from earlier and comment
Old 07-29-2005, 12:01 AM

10/20 belongs in small stakes.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:30 AM

I don't expect to be ahead out of the blinds in the long run. I'm OoP and I've put money in on random cards. Frequent defending puts you in a reverse implied odds situation because you can't collect bets when you are ahead as easily as when you have position.

What I like to do is defend my blinds less than usual in aggresive games HU, that is, to not defend them with borderline or even slightly better than borderline hands. When the LAG's see this they'll steal with more and more garbage. So this sets them up for my 3 bet once I have a halfway decent hand. Do this and follow through with it often enough and eventaully they'll only try stealing with there better hands. Now you get to play without being raised and you get to pick up a pot or two that you were missing out on in the past. This method also cuts down on variance, a biggie when moving up.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, FWIW.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:32 AM

i like this advice. and less variance is better for my young bankroll and experience too...ty
Old 07-29-2005, 12:37 AM

Im assuming you are talking about 10/20 on party, which would mean you will be playing a lot of 6 handed because those are the best games. I think you have to defend your blinds more than usual, and this means 3 betting more. I think this more then anything will stop people (who pay attention anyway) from trying to steal your blinds. Also getting caught on the occasional bluff or checkraise with nada is really good for your image.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't expect to be ahead out of the blinds in the long run. I'm OoP and I've put money in on random cards. Frequent defending puts you in a reverse implied odds situation because you can't collect bets when you are ahead as easily as when you have position.

What I like to do is defend my blinds less than usual in aggresive games HU, that is, to not defend them with borderline or even slightly better than borderline hands. When the LAG's see this they'll steal with more and more garbage. So this sets them up for my 3 bet once I have a halfway decent hand. Do this and follow through with it often enough and eventaully they'll only try stealing with there better hands. Now you get to play without being raised and you get to pick up a pot or two that you were missing out on in the past. This method also cuts down on variance, a biggie when moving up.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible terrible advice, esp for 10/20 6max.