Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Is 2 to 7 lowball dead?

Hi

I just read about kansas city lowball (the no-limit 2 to 7 lowball game with one draw) in the original super/system. I downloaded a video of 2004's WSOP event on this game, and I think it looks like a really fun game and I'd love to pick it up if anyone else still plays it.

It seems they even cancelled the event alltogether in the 2005 WSOP.

Is this game still played anywhere, live or online?
Old 11-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Is 2 to 7 lowball dead?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi

I just read about kansas city lowball (the no-limit 2 to 7 lowball game with one draw) in the original super/system. I downloaded a video of 2004's WSOP event on this game, and I think it looks like a really fun game and I'd love to pick it up if anyone else still plays it.

It seems they even cancelled the event alltogether in the 2005 WSOP.

Is this game still played anywhere, live or online?

[/ QUOTE ]

As the FAQ states, GamesGrid offers cash games and will run private tournaments. The cash games hardly ever run, though.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 PM

It was in the 2005 WSOP, and is on the schedule for 2006. For practical purposes it's their biggest buyin tournament ($5k + rebuys) so it seems less likely to be done away with than others.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 PM

NL 2-7 lowball (aka Kansas City Lowball) was in the 2005 WSOP (won by David Gray) and is still in the schedule for 2006. It is always one of the smallest fields because of the large buy-in, rebuys, and that most people have never had an opportunity to seriously play the game. It's hard to play the game unless you play ultra-high mixed games, can get your buddies to play at home, or find the day where someone at GamesGrid will play with you or a private tourney is scheduled.

I think it would take a site the size of say PokerStars (Hint Hint) spreading it to get deuce-to-seven rolling again.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 PM

Hm, I think they offer the triple draw version of the game

i'm really showing interest only in the single draw 2 to 7 game.. i get the impression no one plays it anymore, what a shame
Old 11-10-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i'm really showing interest only in the single draw 2 to 7 game.. i get the impression no one plays it anymore, what a shame

[/ QUOTE ]

They offer both limit triple draw and NL single draw, I've played both.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have both, though it's hard to find anyone playing either these days. I can't blame people for not playing NL 2-7, as the rake is huge.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:37 PM

cool so what's the game's feel like? Like is it harder to make a big hand in NL 2 to 7 single draw than in NL hold'em? Or anything else (good or bad comments) that sets the game apart in your opinion?

there must be at least some bad things about it to explain it's low popularity
Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool so what's the game's feel like? Like is it harder to make a big hand in NL 2 to 7 single draw than in NL hold'em? Or anything else (good or bad comments) that sets the game apart in your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, playing against tight players is very, very boring, and loose players get busted almost immediately. Because there are only two rounds, there isn't a lot of play in the game and it's hard to have much of an edge against another decent player. It's a game that needs a constant stream of fish much more than Holdem does, and it's harder to get them. It is a pretty decent tournament game, though, as the format adds enough strategy to make it interesting.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:14 PM

I have a feeling that single draw requires a very large ante and a fairly low rake to be a sustainable and interesting cash game.

Unfortunately, Games Grid offers neither of those features.