Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 10:22 PM

Default SSH Preflop Chart

In SSH, the preflop chart for the tight (3-5 players preflop) game says to play any suited Ace from middle position or later as well as hands like Q9 and J9 suited. Do you think that these rules apply for a typical $2-4 Party game? I just can't see how some of the hands, especially stuff like A2s can be profitable after you have just limped in.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: SSH Preflop Chart

nut flush
Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 PM

OK. That is pretty obvious but does anybody have any evidence/clear explanation as to how these hands can be profitable? I just can't see how this hand has enough value outside of the nut flush and top pair, in some cases. Or is this enough value alone?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:07 AM

I don't know if this answers your question or not, but here is a thread with more discussion (with replies by Ed Miller) about the very same topic.

King Jack Suited and Small Stakes Hold Em
Old 09-04-2005, 12:16 AM

It is an interesting thread but I am really looking for some discussion on how A7s-A2s can make money by limping with them in a tight game.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Sorry, that's the best I can offer, I'm too new to all of this myself.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:34 AM

An average of 4 to the flop is only tight in SSH land (and, I'm told, in some B&M's). Also, keep in mind that these charts are also built around a game with players who do not fold enough and do not raise enough on all streets. If you are at a table which is generally raised pre-flop or is quite aggressive post-flop, then limping with these weak suited aces is not as attractive.

During the day, I frequently find tables where I would not limp with Axs in middle position (though I might raise with them in some situations). In the evening, most tables are quite suitable to limping with them.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. The comment about the post-flop level of aggression really made a lot of sense. I wish the book was a little clearer about some of these issues. Usually, they are stated somewhere in the book but just not in the logical order you might expect.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:39 AM

Online there are much fewer situations I would play A2s than in a live low limit game, do to the increased looseness POSTFLOP when playing live.

To play it profitably I feel you have to know your opponents and know that sometimes the board comes A109r and you will raise and other times you will fold to the same exact board
Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is an interesting thread but I am really looking for some discussion on how A7s-A2s can make money by limping with them in a tight game.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do well multiway, and great heads up. They suck vs a raise due to reverse domination.

Hows that?