Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 11:34 PM

Default JJ Hand

Do I continue betting on the river? Or do I check?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

Hero ($51.70)
MP3 ($45)
CO ($15)
Button ($40.25)
SB ($72.50)
BB ($14.45)
UTG ($19)
UTG+1 ($62.10)
MP1 ($54.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG calls $3.

Turn: ($10.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, UTG calls $6.

River: ($22.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $22.75

My thoughts:
If I bet and villian reraises - I'll agonize about folding, but probably lay it down. If that is the case, then I should bet on the river to extract more value and if I do get reraised, I can easily fold.
So, I should have bet ~$12 on the river. Correct?

This quesiton would be harder to answer if we suppose UTG is smart, had $50, and would bluff at a reraise on the river. In that situation I should check? Correct?

And what's the difference btw a pot-sized bet and my bet? Or is there any?
Old 10-30-2004, 04:00 AM

Default Re: JJ Hand

UTG only has $8 more dollars according to my math. So I think that pushing him in for $8 is probably the right move. The Q shouldn't be too scarry (only hand likely to have a Q, is AQ). The fact that he didn't movein on the river tells me that you have him beat. He doesn't have enough left for him to want to try and pull a check-raise on the river.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:42 AM

You don't give any info on the player. Is he the type to sack his hand or payoff with lesser values? I know it's only a .50 blind table, but it's nice to know your opponents. I might check behind for a few reasons:
1) he might not call if you had him beat the whole way;
2) he might not call if he was calling down w/ over pair and now the Q comes, you keep firing like you're not scared of it and will fold.
3) he might have been sacking a set, or now have Q's
4) I get to see his hand. You have position and therefore his hand will be shown first. Sometimes I like to get this information and find it very valuable for future play.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:29 PM

I'd make it 8 on the turn. Otherwise i like the play. I don't like to come out the whole pot unless i think i'm getting good value from it. If i'm trying to steal one or semi-bluff i'm more apt to go about 2/3. I play on party mostly and i give the players no respect at all. Sometimes you'll be getting slowplayed against, but that's rare. It's usually someone married to some AK or TP. It maybe different on stars. Did he have a straight?
Old 10-30-2004, 07:49 PM

Your flop bet is way to weak. Make it $5 minimum here. I like to slightly overbet the pot in this situation, as the fish will still call to try &amp; draw out on you.

If he calls your flop bet (if you bet 5 or 6 as you should have), push on the turn when that 4 falls. If he hit his gut shot, oh well, that's why you make him pay more on the flop.

However the way you played it out, checking down the river is fine, as you'll only be called if your beaten in most circumstances