Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Party NL 50 - aggressive turn play

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

MP ($55.65)
Hero ($69.7)
Button ($67.55)
SB ($42.8)
BB ($28.35)
UTG <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> ($45.9)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls $1, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $3, UTG <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls $3.

Flop: ($12.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Villain checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, BB folds, Villain calls $11.

Turn: ($34.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $31</font>, Villain calls $30.90 (All-In).

Do you like the all-in bet or not? The villain is 55/6.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Party NL 50 - aggressive turn play

I'd really slow down after the call on the flop. Calling from utg scares me if its from a knowledgable player. He could be super-slowplaying something like ak or aa. I'd put him on that or maybe 77. If he's not knowledgable it could really be anything. I like preflop and flop, but i dont know if there is anything on the turn he calls you with that you can beat. There's no real draws to protect against. I'd check and see what he does on the river, if i can pick off a bluff or get a good value bet.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:48 AM

I don't like you're bet on the turn at all. Pre-flop and flop is great, but turn... not good. I'm putting him on AK, AQ, or even worse yet AT (but more than likely AK or AQ). He could even have a set. Whatever it is, there's a good chance he has you beat just from his call on the flop. When he calls the flop ($11), you gotta know he either has an A (with a good kicker) or a set. He's not gonna raise you because he WANT'S you to bet into him. He doesn't want to scare you away. When someone cold-calls your big flop bet... WATCH OUT!!! Slow WAY down (betting maybe $5 on turn and river. Some people will draw without pot ods, but with that uncoordinated flop, there's nothing for him to draw to. There's more than a 50% chance he's got you beat. My guess is you lost this hand.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 AM

Against a decent opponent with decent stats, I would slow down. But 55% VPIP means he is very very loose in my books. That is a very important factor that needs to be taken into consideration.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:01 PM

Think about what hands have you beat: AA, AK, AQ, AT, A7,A6 TT, 77, or 66. AA is very unlikely and I don't believe that he would slow play AK or AQ on the flop and turn. AT, TT, and 77 are the only hands that one could be too worried about. If you have any reads on how the villan plays preflop (as far as what he raises with) you would be in great shape. If he is really agro PF than I see him raising TT (even UTG). He probably lays down AT for that big of a raise (even though he is lose PF). That leaves 77 as the main threat in my mind.
Really this hand comes down to what you know about the player. If you don't think he has AT, TT, or 77 (the most likely hands) then your turn bet is the right choice.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:03 PM

what was his raise percentage?

I don't like putting him all in on the turn.

I think 1/2 pot bet achieves the same thing.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? Would you fold when it only costs you $15 more into what would become a $90 pot. If you are that scared than just check the turn.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:08 PM

This is a really uncoordinated board, so you really don't have to worry about giving a free card. I'd go with about a half pot bet on the turn, and call a reraise all in because you're basically committing yourself to the pot. If he just calls the turn, the check/call the river hoping to induce a bluff from a lower A (which he most likely has with a VPIP of 55). Either way you're getting your money in, however this way you're getting called by a few more hands that you beat.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? Would you fold when it only costs you $15 more into what would become a $90 pot. If you are that scared than just check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

got positions mixed up, thought hero was first to act. In this case, I probably would have checked it through.